1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wood pickup covers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Anybody know if I can buy exotic wood, slip over pickup covers? I'm trying to spiff up my Ken Smith with some walnut pickup covers to replace the black ones. It has 5 strings and jazz pickups.
  2. line6man

line6man

Wood covers need to be thicker than plastic, so replacing covers without rerouting the pickup cavities is rarely possible.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

You could get some veneer and just glue it on the pickups.

It won't look like a massive block of wood though as you won't have any end grain on any of the sides.
  4. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Oh well. The bass is beautiful anyways.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356727990.628003.jpg
  5. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

Covers can be made, I just don't have all the tools I need right now.My neighbor wants covers for his old Ibanez custom with P/J config. Just contact a good woodworker and have them designed to be put on with double sided tape so you don't have to alter anything .
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Those routes are pretty tight in that bass. I can't see room for the sides to fit in the route unless the plastic covers are removed. Not impossible but generally a bass is routed for wood cover pickups as part of the design process, no?
  7. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

You just make covers that sit on top of body. you have to have the pickups where you want them, measure from body to top of pu. With a good router/ milling machine setup you can cut top very thin or route all the way through and veneer the top. I would route so that it stepped down over mounting tabs, drill through cover and screw through cover, through pickups to mount.Damn , I miss Auto cad. I already thought this through for my neighbors bass. I may have to invest in a small mill if there's a big enough demand. John
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yeah, all you need is a mill. :roll eyes:
  9. smithplyr

smithplyr Supporting Member

Give David King a shout,at dkbasses.com,He is great at making knobs and covers,He may be able to figure something out for you,and a great guy!