1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wood Putty in a Fretless Neck...will it stick?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by loociek, Aug 11, 2010.

1. loociek

loociek

I'm working on defretting my old Ibanez to give it a new life. After much online research, I defretted the neck and got quite a bit of chipping around the frets (oops). I brought the neck into a hardware store so I could try to find a wood putty to match the neck color to fill in the chips. They told me they didn't think that wood putty would stick in such small cracks (they were talking about the chips on the neck, which are pretty small, but also about the holes where the frets were!), especially with the tung oil finish I was thinking of using.

I thought these guys were kinda full of crap, but just to check...has anyone had problems with wood putty not holding up their frets (with tung oil or not)?
  2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    What type of putty? What is the solvent base?

You can avoid putty altogether and use sanding dust with an epoxy or dust with linseed oil if you plan to topcoat it.
  3. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I used some kind of cheap Ace Hardware putty for mine. Unfortunately, I didn't buy what I needed. It didn't harden enough to sand or simply not get washed away by a paint brush. I still have many, many more hours of work to do to get it perfectly "flat" because of this. (I'm coating it in poly.) The stuff I bought said, I later found out, on the container that it won't harden to a sandable surface. It's more of the "fill in the holes in your apartment before you leave" kind of filler.

The link in my sig shows this series of mistakes, haha.
  4. loociek

loociek

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Elmers is a water base and is not recommended for this task. Famowood would be a better choice, but making your own would be better and easier.
  6. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Mike is de man listen to him.t