1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wood & Tronics Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brams77, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Hi guys it's time to go ahead and put a Wood & Tronics Club up.
    I think the audience for these basses is growing day by day and I think dedicating
    a thread or thread's to the brand is a great idea!

As the first post I would like to post a video of a new made bass by W&T
    that just sound awesome, really had me stunned.
    I don't know to which it belongs but what I understood from Enrico
    (one of the wood & Tronics founders) this client wanted a Richard Bona sound
    in his new Chronos bass.
    So basically an ash birds-eye maple and olive wood topped bass which was a first for them.
    Just take a listen to it.... sick instrument!

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

loving my WT.... such a killer bass.

[​IMG]

3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I must admit that the Wood & Tronics single cut is one of the more eye-catching and appealing to me, aside from Fodera's designs.

I'd love to play one, but then I might have to have it, and then my kids would have to forgo dinner and warm clothes and other important kid-things for a few months. Not good.

But still... Sweet basses!

4. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pierreganseman

pierreganseman Supporting Member

IN!!!

The one in the middle!!

another one on order ::)

sick bassesi!!

:)

P.

Enrico is the man!!

7. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Wow. Normally I dislike the look of a single cut, but the two you guys own are beautiful.

8. Brams77

Ah great to see some reactions to this post!

lets put some members down then:

Jake you are #2
    Margus #3
    Pierre #4

I am actually letting the guys @ W&T build me a 5 string Chronos 33" scale with 20mm string spacing at the bridge so it will be their first wiiiide version of a Klimt model I guess.
    Strung e to c.. And this one would be as close it can get to Janek Gwizdala's sound, so basically dark warm and singing voice.
    I'm very confident they can get that done.
    I'll soon show you guys how that thing would look like on a photoshop document I'm making currently for this model...
    So to be continued:D

Cheers

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

I'm the process of swapping the East U retro for an East SP2 in my chronos. Trading the sweepable mids in the retro for 3 bands of user defined frequency points is going to be a good thing for this bass I think. I know exactly where I want the bass, mids and treble to boost and cut, so hopefully, this will simplify the preamp equation. My philosophy, is "just complex enough to do what you need it do, and no more". Anybody else have an SP2 module in theirs?

10. Brams77

I chose also the SP2 for the new build but with the passive tone controll added (you can add that aparently).
    I see what U mean tho... I also have the U retro on the Zoid but I only use the passive tone controll and the balance and volume.
    Funny thing is I tried another wood and tronics and I configured the U retro on there the same way
    as I do on my own instrument.

I think it is important to let Enrico know what you cut/boost etc and he can tweak your SP2 a little towards those settings.
    That as I've understood from him cos I was talking to Enrico about getting the "Janek Gwizdala" sound that also comes for a
    great part of some tweaking of the pre-amp so that why I know.
    I know Enrico favours the SP2 above the U retro a bit, but some players favour the flexibility of the U-Retro so...
    Anyways I found out these U-Retro settings work best for me:

Bass and treble flat, the mid position selector on lowest mids and the cut/boost at cut about -5%.
    I never change that on my bass... as I said I only play a little with volume balance and passive tone controll.

I'm curious what you do tho.

But indeed a more simpler "form" of about the same setting is ideal...
    so good thinking there! I think the SP2 is alo a bit more transparant... but from the same breed.

Cheers

11. Brams77

Ok as I allready told you guys I am ordering a new W&T and I made a great photoshop template of a Chronos (this one allready has the broader neck for 20mm string spacing) And played with some ideas for the top.
    You welcome to comment on my Ideas for a new bass:D

Cheers!

From left to right: Klimt with 1 piece ETS bridge, Klimt with 2 piece ETS bridge, Chronos with Camphor burl top, Klimt with grean coloured top and Wave inlay, Chronos with walnut top.

12. Brams77

Old idea... pic removed

13. Brams77

Anyone owning a buckeye tree perhaps....:p anyone?

Old idea pic removed

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Sweet mockups! I like the walnut and the camphor alot. And actually, im surprised how much I like the green wave :)

I wonder if anyone has a pic of the "non wave" headstock in a six string configuration? Im interested in another wt 6, thinking ash body, walnut or redwood top, ebony or maple board. Hmmmm

15. Brams77

Thanks for the comment.

I've actually never seen a non wave headstock for a 6er.
    Ask Enrico if they did make one prolly only in some prototype maybe.

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

those mockups appear to show a contoured top? Am I seeing this correctly, the reflection on the gloss makes it look like the tops are arched somehow? just curious, as I was unaware if there is an available option for carved tops.

17. emjazz

emjazz

Now you have my attention!!!!

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

interesting that you are after the Janek sound, but your spacing preferences are very "un Janek" :) IIRC, his fodera is 16mm at the bridge, or something super skinny like that. 20mm is very wide, even for me. and I played a 19mm 6 for years

19. emjazz

emjazz

I think Janek's bass is 16.5mm.....I also played 19mm 6's for years. I've gotten so used to my 16.5mm spacing that I have a hard time playing anything with "normal" spacing any longer. It just feels so effortless to play with narrow spacing.

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

I'm still adjusting from 19 to 18mm. Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but I guess it is. Chordal stuff that uses 5 or 6 strings is way easier, but the percussive thing I like to do with thumb and three fingers has been less than an effortless transition.

21. emjazz

emjazz

That makes perfect sense. I don't slap at all so the tighter spacing is ideal for me.