wood vs wood filler.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by harpguy74, Mar 11, 2014.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

i am still figuring out exactly what approach I am going to take on my defret adventure. what are the advantaged to wood over wood filler for filling in fret slots, or for that matther using a hard epoxy to fill them in.
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm no expert, just passing along what I've seen in other threads: some guys say that wood filler can compress when the neck comes under tension from the strings and warp the neck, so you ought to use a hardwood veneer instead. Others say they've had no such problems with the filler and maybe something else was the cause. Personally, when I did mine, it seemed to me the fret slots were so shallow relative to the total depth of the neck that it seemed hard to believe the whole neck would warp just from them, even if I hadn't filled them at all. But I don't really know much about the properties of wood. To be on the safe side, I used a veneer to fill, and the neck seems to be doing fine (just a couple of weeks so far)...