1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

wooden dummy pickup for jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bourbonbass, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bourbonbass

bourbonbass

Ok, so this is a little weird. I have an old zebra wood p-bass that has P/J routing. I never used the jazz pickup, and come to find out it had stop working. I took it out, and now have a hole in the bass. Yes, the logical answer is to put another pickup in the hole, but i don't want the second pickup. I just want a P-bass. Is there anyone out there making a wooden dummy pickup that could be put in the hole. i just thought it might be a cool option.

2. wshines1892

wshines1892

Couldn't you just snip off the leads from it and leave the pickup in the hole? Or is the pickup itself physically broken?

3. levis76

levis76

If you want to eliminate the extremely minor magnetic pull of the jazz p'up, gut it. Pull the magnet and winding out and put the hollow p'up back in the hole. You could even epoxy the pole pieces in the holes to make it the ultimate dummy.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Contact. a luthier, they can probably make you a zebrawood dummy to fill the hole and make it look more uniform...that would be my suggestion

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

You could put a lucky strike in the hole like Billy Gibbons

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Fill the hole up with Bondo along with a Marylin Monroe <ahem> "hair" embedded in it. (at least that's what you say to inquirers). Think of the resale value.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I like this idea. I know you probably want to keep it classy since its a nice wood, but it's also a P-bass. Add a little personal touch in the cavity.

9. bourbonbass

bourbonbass

I like all the idea. My first thought was a nice jazz pickups shaped piece of figured wood, but I like the lucky strike idea.