1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wooden End Pins

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by benbastin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. benbastin

benbastin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, DPA Microphones,
    Hello There

After reading Chuck Traeger's book, I decided to look into wooden end pins.
    My journey has led me to here
    [​IMG]

I was wondering if anyone else has looked into these things and what solutions they have found.

Thanks for looking.

Ben
  2. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Very cool indeed! Looks like a fine, well researched product. But perhaps this should be in the Bazaar?
  3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to rig one up, at home .. a weekend project?
  4. neilG

neilG

For experimenting purposes you could leave off the metal collar. That's there to prevent splitting. Just drill a straight hole that will be a tight fit for the metal pin stock. Hammer it home and let us know how it sounds.
  5. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

I'll see what I come up with, Neil, and revert...
  6. powerbass

powerbass

I was also going to say you don't need the metal collar. I made my own wooden endpin w/walnut and epoxied an aluminum rod.

7. ErikvanD

ErikvanD

I use one of these (http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/teile_e.html#ep), looks a lot like the one in the OP. I pressed in about half a drumstick I rescued from the broken sticks bin at my sons drum school. Works fine and fits in the endpin plug of my bass perfectly without any need to sand it down or something.
    My pin also has a collar (aluminium) and though it might not be necessary I think it looks nice.