1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

wooden pickguard- assembly question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MO Bassman, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MO Bassman

MO Bassman

I started to glue two book matched pieces of mahogany approx .125 inches thick to make a pick guard. Then I later found a web site that sells wood pick guards that are laminated using multiple layers of verneers. Is there a reason why thin verneers are used versus my approach of glueing two pieces together? or better yet what advatages/ disadvantages to either for these approaches.
  2. Beej

Beej

Stability, etc. But in your case, that's pretty thick so it might be stable enough as it is...
  3. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

I made one about that thick out of wenge, and it worked out fine.
  4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Laminated veneer is a more foolproof joint. .125" isn't very much bonding area. I would use a liberal amount of masking tape on both sides of the blank until you've completed cutting it.
  5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I've been experimenting w pg's I found that the best fit/strongest is to fuse them w boat epoxy. A veneer by itself is usually too thin, too weak, & to get it strong enough you need a 2 or 3mm veneer (too thick). good luck. show us the outcome.
    [​IMG]
    pgphoto013013 by CXK, on Flickr
  6. backup

backup

wow these look amazing!
  7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Thanks mang. Damn they have internets on saturn how about that.
  8. RxFunk

RxFunk

Nice pickguards! If I had a bass that took a pg, I would definitely buy one of those.