Woodson bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sanderic, Feb 9, 2013.

1. sanderic

sanderic

I am looking for any information on a Woodson amp, mid 70s, that, cabinet wise, was similar to an Ampeg V4B cabinet. I can't seem to find any info on the web or even here at Talkbass.
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

There was supposedly some association with Bud Ross and/or the Kustom tuck-and-roll amps but I think that may be conjecture, perhaps they were designed (or built) by the same subcontractor, or maybe they just copied the Kustom circuits after Kustom went defunct.

Try asking on the vintagekustom web site
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I remember being in a band back in the early 70's that used a Woodson PA. I remember them being a sub-brand of Kustom back then and, at least for the time, sounding OK. Never really was a big brand or anything, and seemed to be more a 'PA' brand back then than particularly popular with bass or guitar players.
  4. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I drug one of those god-forsaken things around 80-82. I had just switched from guitar to bass and couldn't afford gear as I was in The Marine Corps at the time. My buddy lent it to me. It sounded decent for that time but I was playing a Ric which clearly helped.

That said, I know where the amp is and it is still running with nary a burp. I know that this is a cliche, but they really don't build things like they used to.

I too read that it was to Kustom what Squier is to Fender.

I'll see if I can find the article somewhere. Can't remember if it on the net or some obscure hard copy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sanderic

sanderic

I'm not looking to purchase one, I'm trying to ID an amp I saw in a photo from 1976. Cabinet shaped like a 301, but I believe contained two 15s in a V4b configuration.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The only help I can be is that the cabs were tolex covered and had a sort of black and silver weave grill cloth... kind of like strands of 'tinsel' woven in with the dark gray/black grill cloth.
  8. Richard Murrow

Richard Murrow

I owned a Woodson bass amp from the mid-70s thru mid 80s. For the time it sounded good to my ear. Mine was a 2-15 model with seperate head (if memory serves me right it was a 160 watt head). Sounded similar to a Kustom 2-15 (model 200?). Woodson also made a single combo 1-15 at that time that sounded much better than the 1-15 Peavey of that era. I bought the Woodson after getting out of the Navy in '74 where I played on an Ampeg B-15 and the afore mentioned Kustom. The store I bought the Woodson from said the Woodson builder/designer was the son-in-law of the owner of Kustom at that time. Thus the possible Kustom connection. However, I didn't get the impression that it was in any way connected to Kustom. It was definitely less expensive than the Kustom in those days. I hope that helps. All in all it was a good purchase for the time and very reliable. Things have come a long way though since then.