wooly mammoth with active eq

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sethakamoe, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I was wondering if you just a active eq not a active pick up if it will change the sound and or if it will be like using a passive pick up
  2. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I just ordered a wooly mammoth clone online I need to now if my active eq on my bass will affect the sound of it was wonder how high or low my impedence
    Plz help
  3. icecycle66

icecycle66

Yeah, it does.
    I have a bass with passive pickups but and active onboard EQ, my Mammoth clone acts very different with it compared to my all passive jazz bass.

It's has something to do with impedance. I don't know all the science, but all the active onboard stuff will change the way it sounds. It's the same reason that the pedal will act differently in front of or after other pedals.
  4. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

Well I hope it doesn't sound to different
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

The ZVEX Mastotron is basically the same as the Wooly Mammoth with one major difference "Source Impedance".
    It help active basses get the same sound as passive on this fuzz pedal.
    It can be an easy mod, if you do that sort of thing :ninja:
  7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Is the mod documented anywhere?

I have a Mammoth clone, and it wants to be used with a passive bass, and it wants to be before any buffered effects... I would love to have more flexibility.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Active pickups, active EQ, doesn't matter--ANY active device going into the Mammoth will sound different from passive pickups connected to it.

Typically the sound is brighter and harsher. Some people like it better that way.
  9. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Supporting Member

Basically, you need to add a resistor in series with the input. The Mastotron has a variable resistance in series with the input. Otherwise, it's 99.9% a Wooly Mammoth.

Look here : http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/02/zvex-mastotron.html

It's the "push" knob.

Basically it's just a variable resistance with a max value of 100k. You could add a simple resistor on a switch. You would just have to experiment with values (i.e., 20k, 50k, 75k, 100k). Or, if you plan on always using an active bass, you could simple add the resistor to the input for a permanent mod.
  10. Jensby design

Jensby design

More like 86% the same but who's counting :bag:
    You could add a second input with resistor for active . . . just say
    Oh hell it has like 33 parts just build one yourself http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=1026
    Ok 38 for a Mastotron.
    Screw that cloning is just wrong design it yourself you know DIY
    Can anyone still hear me down here ah forget it

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    This past weekend my mammoth clone started giving up the ghost. I'm going to bring it back to my house next weekend and see if I can't figure out what's wrong, but something is definitely not right. I've been annoyed that I've always had to keep it at the very front of my signal chain for it to sound good, so I started looking into the Mastotron. This is one of the more recent threads I was able to find during my research, so I figured I would report back. Just got a Mastotron today and YES YES YES. Sounds great so far at home, can't wait to work it into my rig. I have a passive/active bass and I was able to dial in the same sounds both ways by backing off the push/relax knob - perfect. Same thing by putting a buffered OC-2 in front of it, just back off that knob a little bit and it's all Mammoth. That sub switch on 3 with an OC-2 is insanity. Probably won't be useful at all in real life, but I'm certainly enjoying it right now :)

Basically - Mastotron = recommended. Or just do the mod on your mammoth listed above.