1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wooten Can Do More

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SkeetBeat, Oct 22, 2006.

1. SkeetBeat

SkeetBeat

ive heard some people ragging on us victor wooten fans, saying that he can just play fast, and he is too sloppy, and its just a bunch of ghost notes.
    but i personally love it alot more when he just slows it down and holds a steady groove. dont get me wrong, his double thump is amazing, but sometimes i just like to hear his fingerstyle grooves and his melodic tapping. i just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way. wooten is sometimes looked to as overated, but i dont think so at all. IMHO he is a very amazing bass player and innovator, and i highly respect him.
  2. RWP

RWP

The problem is that many have only seen him play the fast slap groove, which is great, but there is so much more to him. I agree, his best stuff isn't slap, but other styles he plays. At the end of his DVD Live at Bass Day, is some amazing footage.
  3. peteroberts

peteroberts

all you gotta do is see him with Mike Stern to see that he can groove like mad. At some pretty blistering tempos, too.
  4. Basso54

Basso54 Supporting Member

Right here, i feel the same dang way. I think he's a great bassist, and the stupid-fast double thump is impressive from a percussive standpoint, but from a tone perspective, it just rubs me to wrong dang way.
  5. bassist 4 life

bassist 4 life

Actually, Wooten encourages people to groove and then add the flashy stuff,

he describes the groove as the cake and the flashy stuff as the icing. you first have to bake the cake and then add the icing.
  6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

If you form an opinion on Wooten after just hearing his double thumbing, you're missing the biggest part of the picture.
  7. remo

remo

can someone post a yuotube link to a downbeat wooten groove with no slapping, thumping or popping PLEASE!?!

slow grooves with lost of S P A C E is what I love about bass... it's harder to play well at slower tempos because you have longer silent gaps before you come in.. and coming back in in the perfect spot is really hard work..

try playing whole notes in 4/4 at about 70bpm with a 4ths feel drum groove... just come in on the one each time, record yourself doing this and analyse just how far out each of your hits is.. do it in 8th's easy.. whole notes with perfect timing.. HARD!!
  8. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

For proof of his genius, just listen to the song "Big Country" from Left of Cool. His fretless playing on that song is incredible, AND he manages to work "Continuum" into the solo. It doesn't get more brilliant than that!!! "Stomping Grounds" is another song that shows him holding it down, and getting flashy. Of course, you can always hear him playing the Victor version of root 5 on "Cheeseballs In Cowtown". There are countless examples of him holding it down, and doing it well.
  9. Suckbird

Suckbird

victor wooten is great when he isn't slapping.. that's not because he sucks at slapping but because slapping sucks... :hyper:
  10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Vic is the complete package. What's to over-rate? He sings, writes, plays any style, fast, slow, he even break dances, as we saw in the Youtube clip! He's even got talented siblings!
    Show me ANYBODY who's 40ish now, been playing since the age of 3, who sucks. Impossible to find such a person.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

When he solos, it makes me wanna wretch, but when he grooves, it makes me wanna dance. He's such a great groover. Listen to him play with the Flecktones, where he is a soloist, but he holds it down most of the time. Pretty sweet stuff.
  12. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

IMO - I'd have to say his stuff with the Flecktones is the shiznit, simply amazing, but i don't favor his solo work(not refering to his "solos"), some of its ok, but not like the flecktones. Has anyone here heard his version of TEEN TOWN? After hearing that, i can garuantee Jaco's turning in his grave:scowl:
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Yeah, I hated his Teen Town (off the Jaco tribute, right?), his tone is waaaaay to smoothed out... and that solo... Yuuuuuck.

Jaco>Wooten

IMO. Not even saying that due to history or any other B.S. reason. Ignoring all other major reasons, tone is one of the main things. Jaco had this huuuuge thick tone, I don't like the modern nasaly bass sound.
  14. baba

baba Supporting Member

What he said. I loved his playing on that tour.
  15. RWP

RWP

Not exectly a simple groove but truly beautiful and AMAZING Victor.
  16. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

The biggest lesson that can be learned from Vic

[​IMG]

more of us need to be wearing the finish off our basses rather than letters off computer keyboard.

:cool:
  17. RWP

RWP

^^^^ Very True :) ^^^^
  18. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister

i've always like wooten for the fact that he's got crazyamazing technique, but still knows how to groove. there are plenty of wankers out there... and while wooten can wank, he can also groove.
  19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

:rollno: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
  20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

i have yet to hear anyone here on talkbass rag on victor wooten for any of these reasons. link?