1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Word of Warning- about pricing- Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by obimark, Apr 4, 2014.

1. obimark

obimark

Take this for what it is worth- I have no agenda other than helping out fellow TBers.

The current pricing of new American Fender's (and many others) is INSANE!

How do I know?
    I just sold a NICE Fender American P-Bass- in great shape and I took a beating! Kid you not- if I had bought it at the new $1300 price it would have been a slaughter! And that was based on getting it on the lower price (slightly) of two years ago. I kept looking at the final Ebay price, and couldn't even believe it- it was at my entry price which was a great deal low.

I am just here to help people smell the coffee- they are great basses, but just not anywhere near worth the current asking price based on resale value.

I will always have at least one P-Bass but from here on out, but make mine a Mexi!

2. mbelue

mbelue

How much of a hit did you take? Without any specific details this really doesn't help anyone. It could have been a fluke that yours didn't sell well.

3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Insert name of any manufacturer, new retail vs used resale, seems pretty obvious. What did I miss?

4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

what does resale value have to do with original sale value?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You didn't HAVE to take a beating. Maybe you were impatient, and would've gotten more had you held out.

7. walldaja

walldaja

You could take out the manufacturer's name and change the instrument to any musical instrument and you'd find that their resale value is nowhere like a used Honda or Toyota. Only specific collector instruments will appreciate over the short run. Perhaps if an instrument was held for decades you may get the purchase price back.

8. obimark

obimark

I think some of you are right- lesson learned, I should have put a higher start price and been more patient.

But there still is no guarantee I would have got it.

I took a $350 loss on the bass (but basically that just means I paid $175 to play it each year).

But If I had paid $1300, (which is what this exact model P-bass goes for now) and sold it for this I would have taken a $700 loss! Thus my statement about prices being out of proportion to value.

9. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

word.

I have a custom medium scale that I paid nearly double what I paid for my AmStdP.

WARNING - if you buy a relatively unknown brand (no matter how high the quality) IT WILL BE A TOUGH RESELL. If you make it a medium scale on top of that you will be MURDERED!

(Thank god I bought it to play :))

10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Are you saying that the resale value of a used item is less than what it costs brand new?

Mind=blown.

11. tsheldon

tsheldon Supporting Member

I've always found that used gear prices hover around 60% of new regardless of brand. Lots of people expect more, they only rarely get it.

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I paid $900 for a brand new AmStd from a certified Fender dealer last year. Sold it later for...$900.

You gotta shop around a little and be patient when it comes time to sell. Someone out there wants your bass enough to make the hit not so bad.

13. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

I've often wondered what will happen to all those new $1,350 basses that don't seem to sell. I have no problems with Fender, and like what they are producing today. There just seems to be a lot of new ones for sale. They keep producing, but is anybody buying?

14. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I think your problem was eBay'ing it mate.

I've bought and sold many basses on kijiji and craigslist, to/from some pretty decent folks who were happy to pay what I was asking/offering.

Side point, my 2008 US Standard is worth every penny I spent on it. One day my great grandkids will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

15. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

You're going to take a big hit when you sell an instrument you bought brand new? That's insane, I tell you!

I don't usually think about resell value when I'm buying an instrument because I don't buy them with the intent to flip them. I buy them because I'm going to keep and play them for a long time.

16. danroche

danroche Supporting Member

Whenever you sell something used, even if you bought it new 10 minutes before, you're going to take a hit. At the very least, the buyer loses warranty support as well as the option to return the instrument for store credit if they don't like it. That, and if something goes wrong in transit, it's about a thousand times easier to work with a retailer than some guy on the internet.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Uh... yeah...thanks for that bit of wisdom. :rollno:

I take it this is the first time you've ever sold a bass? It has to be, really. Why otherwise would anyone start a thread like this?? Lucky you bought a Fender. If you bought another brand, the hit you took would make you curl up in the fetal position and cry for days.

Where on earth did you learn to judge value on used market pricing?? Take it from me - when you leave home and strike out on your own, you're in for a shock. Good Lord, just wait until you buy a car!

18. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

So the moral of the story is... buy used?

19. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Yeah, you won't sell a bass used for anywhere near what it's worth new, with a few exceptions. There's a LOT of AmStad P & Js out there, and with patience you can buy one at a great price.

As a seller, you need that same patience to get a good price. Losing $350 on a bass in that range isn't unbelievable by any means.

20. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Never once when buying a new bass has "resale" value ever even entered my mind.

I buy them to Play ....

21. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

One extra wakeup call -

An American Standard Precision runs $1,300 new, and sells for on average $900 used. That's a 30% loss. A MIM Precision runs $580 retail, and sells for around $325 used. That's a 44% loss! Your science is definitely not tight.