1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Work bonus

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I have recieved a large bonus from work. I have always wanted a fender neo 410, and a bassman head. My problem is which head. My local gc has the 100t and I really like it. But I have the money and I keep wondering about the super bassman and for only a extra $300 for 200 watts but no one has it in stock. I've read the threads in here for both but still can't make up my mind.

These are the only things I'm looking at. Other options I don't really care about. This is my dream rig and I can finally do it.

I play in a five piece cover band and our stage volume is set at the drummers natural volume (he is heavy handed).

So what would you do?

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I would just go all out for the Super. I think everyone should own a 300W tube head at least once. For many of us it is/was the SVT. I'm sure the Fender will sound outstanding as well. There's just something very cool about a big tube amp that everyone should feel at least once.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You have the chance for your dream rig and play in a five piece with an animal drummer. Go for the Super Bassman, you can always turn down but only turn up so far.

4. senp5f

senp5f

Definitely the Super. Then pair it with the Fender 810 Neo and show that drummer who is boss. You have the cash, so go big! Vulgar display of power!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

So is there any reason not to? I saw that the 100t can change watts from silent-25-100 but I didn't see that the super can, the other thing I'm wondering is if you want to overdrive the 300 you will have to push it hard. Will that that make it hard to do at low volume? The only tubes I've ever owned is a pro three that I still have. So yes two fingers I am very excited about getting into a all tube head. I'm leaning towards the super.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

+1 to this. It's not an exact comparison, but I have a V4 and an SVT. With a lighter drummer and a single guitarist the V4 was always loud enough. With a heavy hitting drummer and a second guitarist I'm definitely driving the V4 to it's clean limits. In my case it works, and I don't use the SVT often, but if you wanted to stay loud and clean, and cost is not an issue, go for the super bassman.

8. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I have a 810 that's in our practice space. My back hurts to bad and I really don't like having to use our trailer everytime so I like smaller packages. But maybe I'll get another neo 410 later if I want and run at 4ohms. That will put him in his place. Lol

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Silent and 25 watt modes might be useful in a studio or at home practice. With a master volume you can overdrive the preamp stage without killing small children, which is less tube stressing that overdriving the output tubes/output transformer.

10. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

That makes sense. I love the dirty channel on the head.

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Go big or go home! ;)

Be patient and wait for your dream rig. You'll be glad you did. I'm happy for your good fortune.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

12. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Ok so I'm definitely getting the super bassman and the neo 410. I buy it in a week and am very pumped. And I think I've finally figured that I'm ordering the blonde oxblood versions. So thank you guys. I've put a lot of thought and research into this and finally know exactly what I'm getting and what I want.

13. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Well the 410 is back ordered till February. Kinda stinks. Oh well I can wait.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Before you buy, make sure you audition the system critically. You'll have to live with the amp for quite a while. Make sure it fills all of your expectations and listen with your ears and not your eyes. :)

You can get carried away buying s new "toy". :D