1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

working without a private instructor

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher' started by andJustice4all, Jun 25, 2013.

1. andJustice4all

andJustice4all

Hi! I'm new to the site, so I apologize if I'm doing something completely wrong here..... :confused:
    I was just wondering - I can't afford a private teacher, but I've been playing orchestral bass for 5 years now, and jazz bass for 4 years. I was taught the basics and have learned more advanced technique through my public school's music teacher and various smaller group settings. In addition, I've worked outside of school with Simandl method books and whatever else I can find. Do you have any tips for practicing and improving on my own? I'm a junior in high school, and I haven't ever even played a solo concert or worked with a private instructor, but I am passionate about my music, have been told that I am rather advanced (yes, by people other than my parents), and I'm willing to work hard. I really want to be prepared for college auditions when the time comes, because it's my dream to tour with a renowned orchestra or become a professional music therapist. So yeah, any tips on excercizes, techniques, books to work from, etc? Any help is really appreciated.
    Thanks!
  2. PNeher

PNeher

Seems to me that you are ready for a private instructor. You know you want to be the best possible that you can be, and like most people you realize a well-trained opinion is often needed to make "the leap" to the next level of ability. I cannot stress enough how important private lessons were to my musical development and my personal development. I became a teacher to share that and to allow others to excel beyond their perceived abilities. So... yes, get a teacher! (I am available BTW, on LessonFace.com)

On your own, if you established a clear and dedicated methodology to practice and setting goals, challenging cognition, and providing live performance opportunities for yourself, you CAN excel. I do it still (I believe), but I established methods of practice, etc., with the help of mentors/teachers. One always needs the perspective of others to progress. (I'm pretty sure about that) Drop me a PM and we'll continue the discussion. Perhaps you will take the plunge ... ?