1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Workplace etiquette

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyJazz77, Dec 13, 2013.

1. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I think most all of us agree that there are social behaviors (manners) within society that not only promote human flourishing, but make our day to day lives a bit more pleasant. One such rule is the consideration of avoiding topics of religion and politics in the workplace. It’s just inconsiderate conduct for one and second, it’s terribly offensive when somebody with an opposing viewpoint is not only overly hostile to yours, but in his/her articulation it’s clear they haven’t done their homework on the position they themselves expose. With me so far??

So then, why on earth did some boob think it a great idea to have a television mounted in my office? It sounds good on paper, but in considering the rule mentioned above, when it’s decided that the safest channel to have on is one of the major “news” networks (notice the quotations around “news”) how is that not in violation of the no-politics, no-religion rule? I find it difficult to concentrate on my work with droning, highly suspect propaganda and irrelevant anecdotes carrying on in my right ear.

‘Which’ network is irrelevant as I find all of them annoying in their own ways – that’s not the point here. Can’t we just get a big fish tank or something??
  2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Ditch the TV and install a stripper pole.

Fish tanks are a B to maintain.
  3. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

4. bassteban

bassteban

I could stomache TV as long as its cartoons. Old stuff, Bugs Bunny, Ren and Stimpy. ULTRAMAN'S, Speed Racer
  5. marko138

marko138

I work in politics and I avoid talking about politics at all costs.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    There's a gadget that will turn off any TV from a distance using remote control signals.

However, perhaps a polite way to address the issue is to mention that you can't concentrate on your work if the TV is on.
  7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

+1

Don't go there. :p
  8. marko138

marko138

And my television is on ESPN right now.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Same. I will from time to time give my opinion on current events if asked, but only if asked. I also try to keep it balanced and most people couldn't guess which party I support.

lowsound
  10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Ren and Stimpy is old? Huh?

If you want politically incorrect, look for some Duckman cartoons.
  11. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Weather Channel
  12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

We don't have that here. People would stop believing in conspiracy theories overnight if they saw the resources we have here.:eek:
  13. bassteban

bassteban

The good ones are.
    :)
  14. 77FenderJB

77FenderJB

We always tak politics at work. Most of us are, let's say, not liberal democrats, and there is just too much going on to not talk about, but we are civil about it and don't get in the faces of those who have opposing views because it's all about Freedom of Speech.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You are not out of line at all OP. I have very strong political views. However, some of you here are probably more aware of them than my friends and family. It is rude to bring it up (as well as religion) unless the entire focus of the gathering is centered around such topics. And although I do lean far to one side, I don't even want commentary I AGREE with on TV while I am trying to work. Work is just that. Focus and get your job done so you can go home and have the rest of your life. That, after all, is the POINT of work. It allows you to have the rest of your life away from work.

That being said, people are sensitive these days (WAAAAAAAAY too sensitive.) So at the risk of crushing the souls of whomever is a fan of this station, I would simply bring it up under the umbrella of a general distraction. Find out if your local cable provider has music channels. If so, put it on the smooth jazz channel or something. That way, there are no words to distract you from your work. (Unless you are the cook at a bar and grill, and then you simply suck it up and go with whatever the owner wants.) Do you mind if I ask what kind of office or establishment this is we're talking about here? You don't have to give away too much about your personal life. Just a general category will do.

Being a political junky myself, I can only imagine that either you are a liberal and they are playing Fox News, or you are a conservative and they are playing MSNBC. And if I were forced to be exposed to either all day I would have to flip out and get something done about it. Talk about one-sided dribble ALL DAY. Oy.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman

I do NOT watch cable news. If someone tried to force me, I would be very unhappy.
  17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Where's that 'first world problems' thread when you need it?

I am seriously stunned that this is an issue at all. For anyone.
  18. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Yesterday we had the employee Christmas show talent, it is amazing how many talented people we have around: singer, actors, musicians..anyway...The thing is that every year , the owner of the company will attend this event and will speak about the reason for Christmas, so here it is, the owner with bible in hand reading Luke 2 to his employees, then he will say that the reason is Jesus birth, that he come to earth to die for us so we can have eternal life , this year he even asked how many of us were Christians...funny thing is that HR still want us to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas , go figure.
  19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    That's my situation too. I don't care which "wing" it's from. Drivel is drivel. Also, my day job requires me to think.
  20. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

You've obviously never had to maintain strippers, have you? ;)