1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Worm holes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by aaronallen, Feb 23, 2014.

1. aaronallen

aaronallen

I'm looking at an old bass that has quite a few little round holes no bigger than 1mm across in the top, mostly in the upper right quadrant. I believe its the work of wood boring insects. Is this a fairly common thing for old basses to have? Assuming the bugs are no longer living in the bass, is it a cause for concern?
  2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

This isn't too common unless the instrument was poorly cared for. It isnt a good thing for sure, and I have no idea how this could effect it sound wise.

If I were you I would stay away. Before they put holes in your wallet or in your brain.
  3. GerardSamija

GerardSamija

Your line about 'assuming' they're no longer in the bass... that's nice as wishful thinking goes, but unrealistic. Once a boring larva has found a food supply it doesn't just leave. It lays eggs. The various beetles whose larvae consume instruments and other wood supplies are born capable of laying viable eggs, they don't even need to mate. Depending on the variety they can live as individuals in an instrument for anything from a few months to a few decades, going dormant as necessary depending on environmental factors. Ridding an instrument of borers used to mean gassing or injected poisons, neither very effective. Now there are other methods which if applied correctly can be much more reliable. A well timed freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycle can trick their metabolisms such that on the second freeze they are destroyed. Careful heating with humidity control to avoid splitting the wood, maintaining (if memory serves) a temperature of about 57 degrees Celsius for a short period works. Replacing oxygen with nitrogen for a few hours (or was it days?) seems also to work.

To your specific case though; if you're seeing holes like that, there are living larvae slowly eating wood in that bass. They do not just go away.
  4. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

It might have a nice hollow body sound I say keep at least one of the worms.