1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Worship Band Of 1-Should I Add My Bass?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eeziebass, Aug 21, 2013.

1. eeziebass

eeziebass

The church I attend routinely changes pastors every 4-5 years. I used to play bass along with keyboardist, guitarist, drummer and 2 singers. All have left except me and now the music is only provided by pianist who is over 80 and only plays the older traditional songs (Standing on the promises, Lord I lift your name on high, Because He lives, etc.) The congregation of about 60 is made up mostly of seniors (including me) and although I'd like to see a few more "upbeat" songs played with a little more passion, the preacher and attendees seem to like things as they are. I don't know if I should approach the pastor and pianist and ask about playing bass or just sit and enjoy the services. Has anyone played bass along with just a pianist and how does it sound? The last thing I want to do is make a complete and utter fool of myself not to mention driving people away!
  2. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

I did it in a worship setting - however, the evening was a jazz music performance for the congregation, versus traditional religious music. So, the piano and the bass worked very well (a jazz trio, without the drummer). I think it would work fine for worship services. You'd be playing "the" rhythm section role. The only conflict might be if your pianist is set in his ways, and feels that your bass line is fighting his left hand notes. In that case, if you stick to mostly roots, there shouldn't be too much conflict. I'd try it, record it (see how it sounds to you) - and get the reaction from the congregants. You'll know if they liked it, as a couple will likely come up to you afterwards and comment. If it doesn't take a lot of your time to prepare, I see nothing to lose. Lastly - you're volunteering your time. Admirable - simply no way to make a "fool of yourself" as you are concerned. Good luck!
  3. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Well, you could approach the piano player and see if he's game. Just thumping along to root notes or staying totally locked in with the piano players left hand wouldn't appeal to me very much though. I'm not sure how you could work this out musically.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Piano and bass can sound nice - especially with drums. However, with that said, and with what you wrote in your post - unless they approach you, I’d advise sitting back and enjoying the service/fellowship.
  5. RockNRollAl

RockNRollAl

Give it shot...
  6. JoeyK

JoeyK

Maybe you could figure out a way to still attend your church and find another church in your area that needs a bass player at a different time or day. That way someone who could use a break would really appreciate your service instead of a piano player that is just trying not to hurt your feelings.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See my sig.
  8. eeziebass

eeziebass

Really appreciate the feedback; too much dwelling on the past when I really enjoyed attending church and feeling part of the now defunct worship team. Guess its time for a change and I'll have to do some soul searching while checking out other churches in my area. Of course there is still the option of accompanying the pianist, I'll just see how things go.