Worst lead singer I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tuBass, Dec 31, 2013.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Sat in on a practice last night for a band looking for a bass player. Start up band, close to my house, I had a free night, why not?

Met at the drummers house, he had nice equipment, very solid drummer in all respects, good practice space, check

Rhythm player... Seemed to be a great guitarist, GREAT lead vocals, nice guy, double check

Lead guitarist, guy putting together the band... Man this guy can really play. Fantastic lead chops. Check

but wait. Leader WANTS to sing lead too. He's already in another band where they don't let him sing so he's starting his own band. the problem is he's terrible. I swear sometimes his pitch was more than a 1/2 step off, and the quality of his voice was terrible. He was without a doubt the worst singer I've ever heard live who thought he could sing. It was like something out of the prelims of American idol where they show somebody just for the laughs.

I kept looking for cameras in the room thinking I was being recorded for an episode of Punk'd or something

this band could actually be something if they let the rhythm player sing. He sang a few songs last night and said his voice was getting tired, so it would take a lot for him to work up to an entire night of singing, even if the ego of the lead player would allow it. This guy is determined to sing, and there's just no way I would let myself be seen on stage with him. It's that bad. you might talk your way into a gig, but there's no way you'll be asked back

I did get the phone number of the Rhythm player and the drummer, just in case. My other band might be going through a shift right now, and either one of them might be able to help us out

2. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

Have you tried recording your practices? Some people for some reason seem to not be able to hear themselves objectively live but can sure hear it played back.

If after he hears how bad he is he still insists on singing either get a pitch corrector for him on the sly or consider leaving the band. It's his band but it's your decision.

3. tuBass

tuBass

well last night was our first practice. I doubt I'll be involved in a second one, but if i do go back I might record it

I thought about a pitch corrector, but if you're off more than a quarter step (which he is) those things are useless

4. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Worse than this?

7. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

8. tuBass

tuBass

yes, worse than that.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I had the same experience some years back. A friend of mine was leaving this band and asked if I was interested. I went by the drummer's house (female lead singer was his girlfriend) and we went through a few tunes before she arrived. She began to sing and it seemed her pitch was off by a few cents on every song. At least she was consistent. I've seen it before. Some folks get stuck on a particular pitch and just stay there. She could hit that pitch even without music. Weird!

Suffice it to say......I turned them down! She was horrible.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I know I will get a lot of flack for this but,

Pro singer....Bruce Springsteen....(Great song writer, but as a singer...ugh!)
    Also say on par with him....Bob Dylan (also good song writer)

13. tuBass

tuBass

14. tuBass

tuBass

dang, now I want to go back to another practice to try to sneak a recording...

15. randyripoff

randyripoff

Personally, I think Springsteen is a great singer. His voice isn't traditional, but his pitch is good. It's not like he's John Lydon/Rotten.

But yeah, if a singer can understand his/her limitations, he/she doesn't need to have the best voice to be successful. For instance, Exene Cervenka. A large part of the appeal of X was the discordant harmonies between her and John Doe.

16. Rocker949

Rocker949

Bruce Springsteen has never appealed to me, either. As for Dylan, I look at him as more of a poet than anything. I wish I liked Springsteen more. I feel that I'm missing out on something.

17. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Worse than Tom Petty? Worse than Axl Rose? Worse than Ozzy?

18. tuBass

tuBass

this guy made William Hung sound like John Lennon

19. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

20. ack

ack Supporting Member

Good call - Exene's voice can be grating (at times) on its own, but harmonizing with John Doe smooths everything out. A great duo...and Doe is an amazing bassist/singer.

21. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Rock singers don't have to be great (or even strong) singers from a technical sense, as long as they're gifted interpreters of the song. They also need to know their capabilities and sell a performance on their strengths.

Dylan and Springsteen, sure. Also consider Elvis Costello, Bob Mould, Frank Black, Tom Petty, and David Lee Roth. David Lee Roth is a *horrible* singer, but he was a decent (if severely limited) vocal stylist and a great rock frontman. Elvis Costello and Bob Mould both grew into their voices and learned exactly what they could and couldn't deliver, but at first their main talent was projecting an attitude. And Tom Petty's always had great timing, feel, and phrasing. But none of those guy's will be singing Manrico in Il Trovatore anytime soon.

That said, it doesn't sound like your guy's found his particular strengths as a vocalist. Ah well, we aren't all blessed with the raw talent of a Biz Markie.