1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Worth a shot..... 8085 microprocessor simulator software?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 7, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

Any of you tech heads know of a good 8085 simulator software that works well with Windows 7? I have tried a couple that download fine, but don't play nicely with Windows 7...... at all!

It's a long shot on a bass forum, but my Nuts and Volts forum registration hasn't gone through yet.

Cheers.

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I don't know of any - but have you considered installing a VM to run troublesome apps?

3. two fingers

I have. And that's my next step. Everything else I have tried with Windows 7 is doing fine. So VM for one app on a computer I only use at school seemed to be a bit much. But you are right on target if nothing else comes around. Thanks!

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Have you messed with the compatibility settings for the program?

But really, 8085 is so old-school. The Z80 is light years ahead. :D

Mind if I ask what you're doing? I'm curious because I've been into this stuff for long enough to remember what an 8085 is.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    but did you ever get to wrestle with an 8008?

7. two fingers

At 41 I am back in school for electronics. I am taking a microprocessors class and we use them in our trainers for very VERY basic assembly language programs. I just wanted to run some things in a simulator before trying them on the real deal. Plus, it's so much FASTER to write the programs in the simulator. Just point and click.

I have tried a couple of programs already and even unzipping them was a hassle. Plus, when I finally got them unzipped, and opened the program, error messages flew at me faster than I have ever seen. At one point I had dozens of error windows on the desktop. The guy that teaches my A+ certification class told me that simulators often have problems with a new OS. He suggested I either go with the virtual machine, or try to find one either written or updated for Windows 7.

8. champbassist

champbassist

I know of this java based 8085 simulator (it's a JAR, basically) as well as this exe. I found both of these to be pretty useful. Here's another Java based simulator. I haven't tried this one, though.

If these aren't actually working with Win7 (I'd expect the Java ones to run fine).

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No, but my professor showed me a 4004 development board.

My summer job during college (82 - 86) was at a place that made artificial speech devices for severely impaired kids. We had Apple computers, so it made sense for us to use a 6502 variant in our stand-alone hardware. So that's what I learned first.

As of this week, I wrote my first app for the DSPIC30F platform. :hyper:

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's cool. Learning an older chip is probably a good way to get into microprocessors, because they are nice and simple, yet they still incorporate a reasonable number of modern concepts.