worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by oleskool, Dec 18, 2012.

1. oleskool

oleskool

Hello..would this be worth buying?
    [​IMG]
    Only one pic, because it is a garage sale item.
    This is also for sale there. The right person could repair it.
    [​IMG]
  2. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

What is the wedge-shaped block underneath the tailpiece on the bass?? Is it a repair of some sort??

The bottom pic is a cello, i think.. Note the violin shoulders and tuning pegs.
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Looks like Jed Clampett put a homemade raised saddle on a nice German(?) bass.
  4. oleskool

oleskool

These are pictures from the ad for the indoor garage sale. I am talking under $100. Looks like someone passed away, and they are liquidating the homes content.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Probably...maybe...worth buying for <$100 if you're willing to invest in some extensive and expensive repairs, but risky if you don't know what you're doing.

Not in playing condition for anyone sincere about playing now.
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

For under $100, why not? If its not playable, sell it to someone capable of restoring it and walk away happy that you were able to help save an instrument.

EDIT -- Now that I look closer, it looks like what we call a "blockless wonder." Those were made on the cheap in Germany and thereabouts and sold through Sears Roebuck catalogs for $25 or a little more in the late 1800s to early 1900s. I've never played one, but I'm told they can be nice instruments (Niels Peterson played one) but require $5-$10k in professional restoration work to modernize and stabilize.
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

It would be cool just as a prop in a studio or music room if you did not want to restore it.
  8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Good LORD, where do You guys find these?

For a $100, I'd snag it in a second.
    The bass that is, the cello doesn't quite ticle my fancy...heck, who am I kidding, I'd probably buy that one as well :).

I can't seriously believe that anyone who's into basses or DB's could pass up that kind of opportunity.

So what if it needs a bit of work?
    If it's a decent instrument, I can't see how someone would be able to take a loss with it, even with some professional TLC.
    And if it isn't a decent instrument for some reason, much worse ways to spend a hunnerd methinks.

Regards
    Sam
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

WOW $5,000 to $10,000 ? I would love a double bass but these stories always scare me away is there a book you can buy to learn more about how to buy one?
  10. skychief

Agreed! :D
  11. skychief

indeed, it does.. I wonder why they woulda done that.. :confused:

Edit: oh...i know why. The tailpiece is from another 4/4 bass and the tailgut was too long, so instead of trimming the tailgut, they stuck in that funky saddle block to take up the slack!! :cool:
  12. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Traeger's book talks about making a larger tail block like that. I'd take that bass for 100 bucks.
  13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Chuck Traeger's "
    Setup And Repair of the Double Bass for Optimum Sound: A Manual for Players, Makers, And Repairers" is a great resource. And here's something cool but random - Bill Merchant who contributed to the book for information on extensions custom made my C extension years ago.