Worth the cash?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tommythebass95, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Tommythebass95

Tommythebass95

Hey guys! Im really in need of an amp head and i cant make up my mind. Really the decission is between an ashdown or a markbass which are the brands that people recommended me based con my playing style (i like having a versatile sound but i favour having clarity and high mids above warm-punchy bass sounds)

The thing is, i checked out the ashdown mag III and aparently its great for its price (as a reference, this is the only one i've tried and i love the sound) but there are a few markbass heads that have around the same price and someone told me they are way better, is that true?
    And i was wondering, is it worth actually just buying a maskbass little mark tube (700 euros vs 300/400 of the ashdown mag) instead and not having to worry about upgrading ever?? like, is a tube amp that much better?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO there is nothing of interest in the mark bass line. That is my opinion of course.

Additionally, their "tube" line amps have a little non user replaceable tube, that doesnt actually effect the tone of the amp much.

If you like the Ashdown, then it is the right amp for your needs.

3. Fender05

Fender05

4. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

M a r k
    B a s s

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    To be clear, mark bass doesnt make any tube amps. They make solid state amps that have a vanity tube in them.

7. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Correct.

MarkBass still.

8. ricknote

ricknote Supporting Member

I'll chose reliability over everything. Markbass stuff is extremely reliable. My LMIII is 3 years old and over 250 four hour gigs and still kicking like a mule. The DI is quiet and the EQ is plenty versatile. It pounds my Ampeg 6x10!

9. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

Ashdowns sound muddy to me. What I would do is play thought bouth and a/b them to see watch one you like more.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I love my MarkBass but my one experience with Ashdown (Little Bastard 30) was pretty good. It was a tube amp with great clean tone, your bass still sounded like your bass but with warmth. I was used to Ampeg tubes, where everything that goes through it sounds like Ampeg, so the Ashdown really brought a smile to my face. I didn't keep it though because it was too small for my uses and I don't have the need for a spectacular recording amp. If I was going to hassle myself with tubes again, I would definitely put Ashdown at the top of my list. Mind you, I love my SS heads, they are more reliable, have less parts to fail, and weigh a fraction of a tube amp will pounding out way more volume. So I don't see myself going back to tubes, I do miss having my toque get warmed up during practice though.

11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd say for your description of your tonal preferences, I am surprised you liked the Ashdown. The Markbass will have a more clear, hi-fi sound. The tube Markbass is a mostly a novelty, it barely affects the tone (if at all) and you can get their cheaper models with basically the same performance.

But, if you like the Ashdown, maybe you like a warmer sound than you think you do? What was your old amp?

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Did Markbass stop making tube amps or don't offer them in the US? They are still for sale here! Big hoary 300w things.

OP, Ashdown doesn't have much of a foothold in the US so what you get here is a very skewed set of opinions.

13. Tommythebass95

Tommythebass95

So the idea im getting is that there is actually no point in getting a hybrid mark bass rather than a solid state one, is that right?

And regarding the ashdown, well yeah you guys are right it did sound a bit muddy but for a 300 euro solid state i thought thats pretty much what you get, although i'll admit, i know nothing about amps, i've only got an orange amp for practicing at home and all the amps i've managed to borrow for gigs/rehersals were either really **** or ampeg/fender which are two brands that if you like their sound then great for you, but if you like having your own sound then not so much

14. cnltb

cnltb

Agreed

15. xvunixvx

xvunixvx Simandl Supporting Member

I agree. Mark Bass is consistently "Off the Mark". I would recommend playing as many brand amps within the price range you would like to spend. Consider lightly used gear for a lower price.

Also, do not forget to listen to what the amp sounds like from a distance through the cab you will be using. A low "E" can not accurately be heard unless you are a good distance (10 meters/yards) away from the speakers.

Good Luck!:smug:

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Exactly.

To the OP.

If you take the time you can get a very nice non muddy tone out of Ashdown. I've been using Ashdown amps for about 16 years and their amps are far more versatile than people are aware of or care to be aware of.

Just play as many different brands as you possibly can and take it from from there.

Ashdown endorser.

17. Flatbass

Flatbass

Exactly.

'High mids and clarity', have you tried GK, EBS or SWR?

18. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Don't go on what people say, as it really in their opinion, sometimes helpful, but still an opinion... You really have to check out as many as you can yourself and choose what you like the most, for the amount you can afford to spend.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

And let's not forget about the nightmare stories about getting Markbass gear repaired there are enough threads here on TB worth reading.