1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would anyone else like a SBMM Ray34CA with the standard nut width?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Jan 20, 2014.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef

Really like EBMM basses - have been very impressed with the SBMMs I have played.

Had an EBMM Classic Stingray and while it was a gorgeous bass and sounded great..the 7(ish) nech radius was not comfy to me. Have always liked the 11(ish) radius and nut width of the modern Rays and Bongos

Love the idea of being able to get the 2-band EQ, Slab body and gloss neck in a modern radius - but just can't get with the Sterling nut width SBMM equips the Ray34CAs with...just not as comfy to me.

Anyone feel that way?

I would love to grab that new(er) Silver-Metallic finish on the Ray34CA ...

Not sure what good this thread serves...just curious if others feel the same :)

2. Red_Label

Red_Label

I come from guitar world (lead player for almost 30 years). I became pretty picky about necks, strings, etc over all of those years.

But since I've switched over to bass several months ago, I've found that the differences in necks don't seem to bother me. I've got Sterling Ray 35, Ray 34, and Ray 34CA FL (fretless) basses, as well as an Ibanez SR300 that I've had kicking around for a while. I enjoy playing them all. I guess it's because basses all feel like "blunt force instruments" to me when compared to the electric guitars, acoustic guitars, mandolins, and ukeleles that I've been playing. When I started the switch over to mostly playing bass, I though I'd struggle with the massive-feeling strings and scales that basses have. But in reality, it's been quite liberating and honestly, I wish I'd have dived full-force into bass before now. It's been FUN!

Anyways... not really an answer to your question, just wanted to chime-in that I'm pretty much licking it all right now.. from the tiny J-style neck of the fretless, to the sizable slab on the 5-string.

Family pick of the Sterlings...

[​IMG]

3. pudgychef

pudgychef

Sweet!!
    Guess I am alone in this 'want'...clearly why praxis/sbmm sells many more basses than I do!
    :oops:

4. pudgychef

pudgychef

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. username1

username1 Supporting Member

I agree, I just got the ray34ca with maple neck and I love everything about it except the small nut width. Give me a man sized neck.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Are you looking for fretboard radius, or nut width, or both? There's no relation between the two...

8. pudgychef

pudgychef

I would like a standard Ray nut width and radius available in a glossy neck, classic Ray looking, 2 band EQ package.

Like a Ray34CA without the Sterling style neck