1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would it be possible to flatten a 9.5 radius fretboard to 12"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b525, Apr 13, 2014.

1. b525

b525

I know that I would have to refret. I don't think that flattening it would hit the truss rod.

Then again I might be wrong. Is this a stupid idea? Or would I be better off getting a new fretboard/neck?

Cheers,

---b525

2. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Possible, yes. Worth it? Up to you

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Not a big deal. Yes, obviously it would require a refret. The cost wouldn't be much more than the cost of the refret. Flattening the fingerboard from 9.5" to 12" radius would lower the center of the fingerboard about 0.050", so the neck would feel a little thinner, front to back. Any Luthier capable of doing a refret should be able to do that modification for you.

The only potential problem is inlays. If they are made of thin material, they might have to be redone. Normal dots wouldn't be any problem.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I went the opposite direction, but I was also defretting the bass; got a 10" sanding block to curve the fingerboard to my preference (I think it was 12" or 14" when I started). Worked fine.

5. Register to disable this ad