Would like opinions on the Galveston PRO SERIES 8 String bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mettec, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mettec

mettec

I was just looking through ebay stores and I came across the Galveston PRO SERIES 8 String bass. For the price it seems ok but is it a ok bass? I play Modulus Q5's and love the string spacing and although I realize that it won't be the same spacing, is it easy to play with fingers?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    I have been tempted by those as well. They appear to be perfect for a tapping or stick style bass, although the spacing appears a bit tight for fingerstyle playing, especially slap.

The general consensus on this forum among people who have played Galveston products is that they are not that good.
  3. Basshole

Basshole

I have the 7. The nut that came on it looked like it was cut by a monkey. I had the nut replaced by a luthier, and the instrument set up. A few pots were replaced, because the ones that come stock sound like they're full of sand. I strung it low F#, and it kicks ass. Don't let anyone tell you these aren't good instruments. They do need a little TLC before they are gig-ready, though.
  4. Basshole

Basshole

BTW, you'll need strings with a 37" speaking length, as these instruments are string-thru-body.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. embellisher

Media:
    How do the stock pickups sound? And what do all of the extra tone knobs do? It doesn't have a preamp, does it?
  7. mettec

mettec

How is the spacing? I don't mind narrow just not too narrow. Can you give some specs on the spacing at the bridge?
  8. Basshole

Basshole

The pickups are nice, IMO...although a bit low output in passive mode. Basic humbucker pickups (enclosed poles) pretty jazzbass sounding. There is a 3-band preamp, you pull up the volume knob to enable it. It mostly just gets louder. There is 3 band EQ, but it's not the world's most wonderful tone shaper. It's not a wonderful instrument, nor a bad one. It's a good value instrument. It does need to be set up, but played pretty well out of the box (aside from the poorly spaced nut).
  9. Basshole

Basshole

16mm at the bridge. Not intolerable for a large ERB.

I made you guys some quick sound samples here, of just a quick rundown from a high F# on the C string, all the way down to the low sub-contra F#.

Blend control at center, first passive, then active, all knobs full up. Direct to cheap Roland UA-30 USB interface...quick and dirty:

http://poopnugget.com/files/7-passive.mp3

http://poopnugget.com/files/7-active.mp3
  10. embellisher

Media:
    How tight is the low F# string? And how much does an F# string usually sell for?
  11. Basshole

Basshole

I can slap it, if that's an indication. They are a light set, though. You can't really play a 7 real hard. It's more of a "light touch" kind of instrument.

The cost I don't know. I had a couple of sets made for development, to study the possibility of offering them for sale.

The cost (to me, anyway) would be dependent on order size, I'm sure. I had them made up about 2 years ago. Hit a rough patch in life, and the project went on the back burner.

If there's some interest, I'll see about offering them for sale.
  12. DNote13

DNote13

I have a Galveston, and it is the best. The low F# is the tightest string yet! I strung it with a .165 Snakeskins and it is super audible through my rig. The low F# strings sell for $24 at the Conklin website
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I owned one - not worth keeping Conklin gt7 is amuck more solid instrument