Would love some Feedback - Watermelon Man

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by henry2513, Apr 13, 2014.

1. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I'd love some feedback on this recording with the trio I play with.

Thanks! :bassist:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. mambo4

mambo4

What kind of feedback? You playing? the band? the mix? what?
    Sound like an unrehearsed jam.
    If it's supposed to be a head /solo /head kind of thing then the head needs polish, and you might want to return to it to finish. (Did the guitar player leave the room?)
    intro needs to be shorter or more interesting.
    Guitar tone seems inappropriate for the style.
    Bass solo looses context, seems unlinked to the melody, needs better support from the guitarist and drummer.
    The band did the that thing that universally makes bass solos so horrid: everybody else drops out, the groove dies completely. (Did the guitar player leave the room?)

For something like this to work, as a band try to establish some well rehearsed, tight and polished "anchor points" in the tune.
    everybody hits them reliably creating nice reference points for soloing about.
  3. henry2513

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah just overall feedback is good.

Also, do you think I have too much mids going on?

Yeah we come back to the head, I just cut it before I uploaded it otherwise it's a 10 min recording!

On the bass solo - I don't know what to tell these guys, when they drop out - yeah groove dies and there's no energy. The drummer goes to sleep and the guitar player - I don't know what he does. I think that's the part about playing with these guys that bothers me the most.
  4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Ask them "why the need to drop out when i solo?" then ask yourself "Do i drop out when others solo?"
    If the answer is "no" on both counts then address it and make sure they support you, as you support them.

As for the sound, i cannot make any comment based on what i hear as it is as much the limitations of the recording equipment being used, and what i am playing it back on, as it is any EQ you may have used.
    Stick with it, record more and be honest with what you hear and you will get results. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. henry2513

Oh it was recorded with a Tascam DR-04, just a handheld recorder. We try and record every rehearsal.

What about my bass playing any comment on that? I like to hear it all.

Thanks for listening!
  7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

No probs, i am just saying what i am hearing is not what you were hearing...actually no one will.
    Its hard to be objective when i do not know what you were trying to do and whether you pulled it off.
    Again i will say, if the drummer played slightly different and gave you room to work with him your playing may have been different. If the guitarist defined the melody more you may be able to support him harmonically more, so it is how the other play that will ultimately influence not only how you play, but what you play.

The best players i have ever met were the best because they had imagination...not chops, not training, not even a great theoretical background, but great imagination and being able to put it under their fingers and those around them.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

the biggest thing i hear is a lack of consistent time feel. its one thing if every one hears time a little different and one guy is right on the beat and another is a little on top, but it sounds like no ones time is consistent. also consider that the looser a drummers pocket is, the more conscious you have to be as a bass player to hold it together. if youre playing something busy it sounds like 2 people playing against each other.
  9. henry2513

Awesome insights, thanks.
  10. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

11. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

agreed....maybe more duration on the one....the abrupt muting of it kinda leaves a gap to my ears.....
  12. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

It might just be the Guiro....... :D
  13. Octaves

Octaves

I think the drums and guitar sounded ok. Guitar not too loud and modest.

Concentrate on your timing, practise with a metronome. What was missing for me was 'articulation' having said that though, tone sounded okay and you seem to know the notes, just get those 16ths right.
  14. henry2513

Thanks for the feedback guys!
  15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

well I must say rythm should be consistant ... a lot of fill that seems to mess too much the rythm.

Maybe define better the harmony ( the bass and guitar ).

The bass solo, I don't mind the drum backing up a bit but he should play a more solid hi-hat/snare rythm so you don't fall and well the guitar should play little chord here and there ... you know something. Otherwise I like the fact that you used some part of the head.
  16. Lownote38

Lownote38

It sounds good, and my only advice would be to listen to one another more. The drummer seems to lose the groove sometimes (during fills and coming out of them), and the guitar player doesn't seem to be playing the same style of music you guys are. Your playing is good, but during the head, stick to a bass line. It sounds like you rarely repeat yourself. The line Paul Jackson plays during the head on the album Headhunters is actually chords, and the groove comes from the group not deviating very much from their respective parts. I guess that mainly, you guys need to choose a groove for the tune and stick to it.
  17. henry2513

All good points, thanks. Your right, not enough repetition in the groove - so that means there's no groove, and that's on me!
  18. Lownote38

Lownote38

and everyone else in the band. Everyone holds the groove collectively. It isn't you. It's about how the band grooves together.