1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would Love Some Opinions Re Inexpensive Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglejem, May 20, 2012.

1. junglejem

junglejem

I am now primarily a guitarist, but I will from time to time get an opportunity to play bass at Church. I haven't owned one in several years. I'm looking for one, in the "safely under $1000 range."

I'm a lefty, so actually getting to try instruments out before buying is a luxury I rarely have.

Years ago I played professionally, and was always a P-Bass guy. Still am, I suppose, if I could find a used one "safely under $1000." At the moment, I'm not aware of any.

I am looking at a Japanese Fender Jazz Bass, but I've also stumbled across Schecter basses. I always thought Schecter was an off-brand, primarily a heavy metal, low budget maker. But maybe I was wrong? Some of their instruments look interesting.

Dollar-for-dollar, how does Schecter stack up?

I was also looking at the Eastwood Airline Map Bass, just because it is so retro cool, although the You Tube demos sounded pretty good.

Bottom line, I'm not looking for a top of the line bass, but I'm not looking for a toy. I own a Gretsch White Falcon, a Gibson Jackson Browne Artist and a Rickenbacker 330/12. This bass does not have to be in that league, but it must be decent, and "safely under $1000" $600-$800 would be perfect.

Any thoughts?

2. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast

I would look into the used market for an American made Fender Jazz Bass....or if you want new even some of the asian made Fender Jazz basses can play great for the money for quite a bit less than $600....just play a few and find one that feels good. You can easily swap out pickups later for better ones which will make a big difference as well...

3. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Disclosures:
    No affiliations
    I've seen new American P basses on sale for as low as $800. Depends how fast you have to find one.

Under $1000 should be no problem for used American P.

Another good option (better IMO) would be a G&L Tribute L2000. The neck is wide but you would be used to that if you are a P player.

4. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Fellow lefty here, Ebay is your best bet for anything decent and used. I'm a warwick guy and the used prices are some of the best bang for the buck. I've never had any real experience with shecter but the rightys I've messed with seem alright.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've owned a Schecter C-4 series bass and it was at least the equal of any Fender I've ever laid hands on - better than many - and I'm a Fender fan. The fit and finish was impeccable, the balance was nice, and the neck was on the thin side and very playable. I decided that active basses aren't my thing, or I would not have sold it.

I think you can be VERY well served by a Schecter if you like the sound. Especially on the used market, I think Schecter is an excellent value.

7. Sharko

Sharko

Schecter does have an association with heavy metal players, probably because of the red/ black colors and cool inlays. They're made in Korea I think, but they're not cheapo instruments. When it comes to fit/ finish/ inlays/ nice maple tops/general cosmetic coolness, they blow away most in their price range, but when it come to sound people have split opinions. I had a stiletto elite and it was neck-through, gorgeous flamed maple top, good hardware, finish was flawless, all for under $300 slightly used. The sound just never resonated with me, your results may vary. If you don't like the metal look, their j and p copies are very well liked and a fraction of the MIA fender price. I think of them overall as a quality builder where you get a great bang for your buck, but the resale value will be low because not a lot of people are looking for them.

But then again, if bang for your buck is a priority you could always try a Squier CV and spend all the money you saved on pizza and beer.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

another lefty here. i own and have owned a few schecter basses. currently i have the stiletto elite-5 and diamond p-custom. i had a studio-5 that i traded a month ago. the elite and studio basses are very solid for the price. the diamond-p is pretty good but with the price point being a little lower, there is a slight dip in quality. the tuners are on par with cheaper imports and the pickups are on the dull side. the bridge also seems like it's made for a bass with tighter string spacing than what the p was designed for as there's a noticable gap bteween the edge of the fretboard and the E/G strings. being a p-bass guy, you might like the sound of it or you may want to do a pickup swap. the lefty diamond-p cost $550. stock, it's a decent bass that could use some upgrades, then it would be pretty killer. personally i think i should have waited and gone for a used mia fender. the quality difference is quite apparent.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Under $1,000? Literally tons of excellent basses in that price range new. By Esp Ltd, Ibanez, Jackson, Peavey, BC Rich, MTD. Of these the BC Rich neckthru's with P neck and bridge pups & 2band active eq would be great choice since your thinking P pup bass.

10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

OP is a lefty, and a few of those companies offer little to none in way of lefty basses.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My .02: Check out a Lakland Skyline.

12. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Fender, Lakland, G&L, or even Musicman used. With a grand, the world's your oyster!

You can afford to be a bit more picky at that price :)

13. labman72

labman72

Skyline's are out. No lefty models there.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Schecter makes awesome sounding bass guitars. I own 2 schecter stiletto basses and they sound really cool. I personally would recommend these basses.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

I see Lefty MIJ/CIJ basses pop-up on ebay, TB and cl from time to time. You should be able to score something decent, you've got a realistic price range. Buying before trying is always a risk but a Japanese built Fender is as safe of a bet as any, IMO.

16. micahwc

micahwc

Upgrade a ibanez mikro. Pj pickups and a scale length similar to your guitars.

17. junglejem

junglejem

Well, I ended up with a lefty American Fender P Bass, a 2005 model I found on Ebay. Sunburst, rosewood, very basic, but in my price range. Should be here next week.

18. dave64o

dave64o A legendarily low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

As the owner of a sunburst/rosewood American Precision, I applaud your excellent choice! :bassist: