would LOVE your opinions on this

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  2. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

Well done, well performed and good recording. Not my cup of tea.

3. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Agreed. The only *thing* is that I was hearing "in the cesspool of my mind" is more of a walking bass line towards the rest.

4. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys. Id still love some thoughts from others. Seems real tough to get that here on tb without baiting the title. I've reasons for asking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I dug the groove, singing and lyrics! I would've liked a thicker bass sound and there's a couple notes that seem off rhythmically... Even so, the song is a winner - nice work!!!!

7. bassbrad

bassbrad

Sounds like Dr Demento music to me, tongue in cheek and fun

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Was this recorded in the 80's? It has an 80's vibe to it for me (stylistically and the vocal mix). It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

The song itself is okay.

9. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks again. No thanks to the other 99.999 % of people on talkbass. :)

Quick history on the song, and why I posted it.

Was recorded about 10 years ago. We were working with someone somewhat well known on our album, and I had the idea for this that I wanted to be a collaboration. He asked me to send him a demo, and then he'd think about it and we'd go from there. I had just bought my first fretless bass (an MK acoustic) and wanted to use it on the recording, so not yet knowing how to play fretless, I banged out a demo. Would learn by the time we did the actual recording. Sang and played at the same time, and banged out the demo in about 10 minutes on cheap stand alone zoom recorder. Producer guy thought the sloppiness and lack of perfection fit the song perfectly, and wanted to keep the original stereo track, and just add everything else. I kicked and screamed, but he and the band convinced me it was the way to go. 2 days later we had a song. Was never happy with it until I just started listening (after 10 years), and now, eureka, it makes me smile and I like it. It's incredibly hard for me to be objective about it, so I wanted to see what other bass players thought regarding it.

The high pitched squeaky solo, by the way, is sung (yes, humanly) by the guy who produced it. :)

Thoughts still very welcome.

10. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    When I'm recording stuff with other musicians, I always try to keep a not quite perfect take on some of the instruments if the number of tracks allows. I listen carefully for great mistakes that work with the music. Happens a lot on guitar solos... little string squeaks and noises and isolated off-beat notes. Just random stuff that sounds stupid being tracked, but sounds like genius after a few listens.

Of course, not every mistake is golden though.

In your case Joe, the producer was right. That one needed a slippery bassline. It fits the context.

11. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. :). Thanks.

12. Chromer

Chromer

The playing fits the song. If it were a "serious" song, these days I'd be comping takes and tightening timing in the DAW, but for this the whimsey and looseness works well. IMO.