Would shedding 122 grams of weight off a neck be noticable?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zortation, Jan 29, 2013.

1. zortation

zortation

I'm thinking of changing out the tuners in my bass for some lighter ones, Gotoh GB350 Resolites. My bass is a tad neck heavy, not full on neck dive heavy but just enough to require my left hand to support the weight of the neck more than I think I should have to.

The amount of weight savings I would achieve (if the specs are accurate) were I to go through with this would be 122 grams. Would that be a noticeable weight savings do you think? The bass is a five string.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

122 grams is a bit over a quarter pound. I've noticed the difference using Resolites but the final balance also depends on the weight of the body as well.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Actually, if you've got a mild case of neck dive.... leverage is your friend. Which is to say that removing that weight from the very end of the neck (tuners) will have quite a noticeable effect on the natural balance of the instrument... in a good way.

Conversely, removing that amount of weight from the body would have much, much less effect on the natural balance of the instrument.
  4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Slowgypsy is correct. Leverage is as much a consideration as actual weight. If the tuners don't completely solve your problems, adding metal control knobs might get you the rest of the way there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zortation

zortation

I appreciate the replies! I will go ahead with this and post the results. The metal knobs are a good second move and something I haven't thought of, but the blackwood knobs that are on the bass are kind of a trademark of Fbasses...I hope it won't be necessary!
  7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Just remove one of the stock tuners and see if it makes a difference with neck dive.
  8. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Disclosures:
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Actually, 122 grams is very close to the equivalent of TWO regular Gotohs. The Resolites weigh 35g apiece, vs. something like 64 for regular GB7 machines.

The Resolites are great machines, and they will definitely make a noticeable difference. The point about leverage is significant - grams at the headstock mean a lot more than grams elsewhere.

You may even find the bass sounds different.
    If there are any known dead spots or anything like that, pay attention to the "before and after". This kind of thing can certainly be affected by changing the mass at the headstock.

Cheers,
    Martin
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I hope it's not necessary too. But no matter what you decide to do, always have a plan B that fits best with your Plan A - no matter what you're doing.
  10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

+12 on this
  11. zortation

zortation

Interesting that you mention that. George (Furlanetto) pointed out something similar to me regarding a change in tone, he actually said switching to the Resolites might take away some bottom end (tonally).

I find that weird. I didn't know that something like that could affect the tone in such a way.:confused:
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Would shedding 122 grams of weight off a neck be noticable?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes because all of that weight is at the end of the neck. But going to lighter tuners can cause a dead spot ... maybe ...
  13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's an interesting thought and I could see it being true regarding the GB640 Resolites (classic Fender open gear replacements) since you are replacing 100 grams of steel with 66 grams of aluminum. I'm not sure the same theory would hold true when you're basically replacing a plastic or cast pot metal casing (like the standard GB7 equivalent) with aluminum GB350s. But, as always, YMMV, IMHO, TMI, ETC.
  14. mongo2

mongo2

That's not been my experience with several basses using Resolites.
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Nor my experience with Hipshot Ultralites on several basses - no noticeable change in tone.
  16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Lighter tuners might allow an existing dead spot to be more pronounced that was covered up by more mass in the headstock, but they won't "cause" the dead spot per se.
  17. David Jayne

David Jayne

It could, in theory. But I've yet to see it happen and I've changed a few tuners.
  18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

on a few basses when there was a dead spot, installing hipshot ultralites moved the dead spot closer to the bridge by a fret or two and also diminished the effect--made it into a sick spot, so to speak.
  19. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

That's the deal. Less mass moves it towards the bridge. Adding mass (like a Fatfinger moves it towards the nut.

I much prefer the latter than the former and prefer to add mass to Fender style basses because I can offset any neck dive with my forearm on the body.

Smaller bodies pose more of a problem.
  20. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

haha sick spot. BTW I have experienced the same thing with Ultralites on my 97 Jazz
  21. zortation

zortation

No dead spots on the bass. The neck construction is three-piece laminated maple and is rock solid. I've never had issues with it...which is good, because from reading some of your replies it appears that dead spots won't "just happen". Now I'm amped!