Would This Blow a Speaker??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd Supporting Member

So about a week ago, I had brought the house amp at a gig with three other bands. I brought my Trace Elliot 410 and 118 and put one on either side of the stage. ( I know, probably not the best sound) so one of the other bands had 2 bassists, don't ask me why. One bassist plugged into my Ampeg into the 410 and the other used a 100 watt Peavey pa head and plugged into the 18. I told him before the show how to unplug the cord from my Ampeg and plug in the cord from the peavey. Well...... I guess he didn't understand entirely and when it was their turn he left the cord plugged in from the Ampeg and plugged his Peavey into the extension cab jack of the 18. It started making an awful sound so I run up their to find this and correct it. He was only playing like that for about 30 seconds before I realized what had happened. Would that blow the speaker? It makes a bit of a rattle sound and breaks up but only occasionally.
    Thanks,
    Ben
  2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I bet it would hurt one of the amps before blowing a speaker. What a moron. I would definitely tell him he needs to bring his own rig next time.
  3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

It may have gotten the speaker.........

If so, still be thankful that it did not fry both heads.
  4. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

I blame the computer industry for this sort of nonsense.

In their efforts to make home computers as user friendly as possible they have instilled a ridiculous concept in some people that, "If the plug fits in the socket, then it must be the right plug for that socket."

It never ceases to amaze me how many, otherwise seemingly intelligent, people just can't comprehend the difference between a 1/4" guitar cable and a 1/4" speaker cable.

Anyway, I understand that isn't quite the same thing here as he was, apparently, plugging the amp into the speaker cabinet correctly.... it just already had another amp plugged into it. lol
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. geoff chartier

geoff chartier

The only way to tell if a speaker is blown is if it sounds blown (ie. makes a bit of a rattle sound or breaks up occasionally ;) ) so I'd say yeah, sounds like it blew the speaker(s). I hope you know where to send the bill :)
  7. Ben Berd

I have tried being a nice guy and bringing the house rig but I think those days may be coming to an end. There was no communication beforehand either! If I didn't bring my amp there would have been no amp at all! I only brought it on a whim that I might want to use it over what was there. And also, if your in a band with two bassists don't you think you might want to plan ahead so that you know you have amps lined up?
    I haven't tested the speaker too much but I'm gonna take the grill off and see if it scrapes. Im glad my head still works though. I'm not too upset about the speaker, I got a good deal on it, but still. Things like that make me hesitant to let other people use my stuff. Sorry about my rant and getting a bit off topic.
    I guess this is all part of being in a teen band and playing with other teen bands.:meh:
  8. Ben Berd

Just to be clear, the Ampeg was plugged in using a 1/4" into the input of the cab. While the Ampeg was still driving the cab, he plugged in his Peavey PA head into the 1/4" extension cab OUTPUT jack on the same cab.
  9. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Which is ALSO an input
  10. Ben Berd

Really? Sorry for being so ignorant.
  11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I wouldn't call it ignorant.

What happened was two heads outputs were joined together into one speaker.

Usually, this is a recipe for blown output stages on one or both heads.
  12. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

Yeah, speaker input jacks are (almost always) just two jacks wired in parallel.

It might say input or output, but they are identical.

Take a look at them when you open up the cab to replace that speaker...lol.

Don't feel too bad about it, things break and then you fix them. If you're lucky, you usually learn something along the way. You'll probably break quite a few speakers over the years.

I never have a problem letting other people use my stuff, but if I do I will always plug everything in and set the volume and then show him or her, "Ok, here is where I usually have it - if you need a little more, don't go past here."

You are lucky your amp didn't start smoking. You actually might want to take a look inside and make sure the CBs don't look like anything was barbequing on them... black tar looking goo and/or obvious melting.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any time anyone wants to do something to your rig like this, be there to supervise it so you stop them from making fatal errors. Many musicians are total idiots about gear, even some very good ones.
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

From the sound of it you should have had two smoked amps and no sounds in that situation.

Adding to what Jimmy said. Never trust a musician to know anything about hooking up gear. That goes x1000 for a bass player with no bass rig.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Did the Peavey make bass sounds? By rights the only sound should have been of it swiftly dying, which possibly saved your amp.

I am suspicious you may have been using guitar lead to power the 18 from your Ampeg. Not many bogans have long 1/4" speaker cables. Guitar lead is a no-no.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+10000
  17. Ben Berd

He did play through the peavey for the rest of the set. Wast very loud as it was only 100 watts so I can't attest to the quality. Im not sure if it still works because I really don't ever see the guy. I opened up my head last night and all looked good (to my untrained eye) but no black marks, melted anything, or fried electronics smell and it stil works as it should. This might be the kick I need to start a new cab build :D
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

When amps are connected up each other's output it gets really ugly really quickly. Maybe the Peavey had only one blown channel. Miraculous your amp survived.

Or it was never connected as described.
  19. dincz

dincz

Not many countries have bogans. Lucky that :)