Would this cause any problems with my bass? (Affinity Squier Jazz Bass)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geddy_2112, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

I want to change the pick guard and I heard that if you take off all the strings on some basses something will go wrong with the truss rod i think? And I want to replace the bridge with tremolo, and change the tuning pegs as well. Is this going to cause any problems?
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Nothing will happen to the truss rod. I take all the strings off every time I change strings and I do a thorough cleaning at the same time. You might need to adjust the truss rod after you are finished.
  3. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

How would I know that I need to adjust it? And how do I do that?
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walldaja

walldaja

It was made without the strings on it.
  7. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

One other consideration ... with a Jazz style bass you don't even need to take the strings off in order to remove the pickguard. Now changing the bridge and the tuners, yes you will have to take the strings off, but that won't hurt anything. One last thing, before you change the bridge and tuners, you'll have to ask yourself, is it really necessary?
  8. Salamenster

Salamenster

It's not about taking the strings off, it's about LEAVING the strings off. You can perfectly leave the strings off for, say, an hour of three. But leaving an instrument without strings for a longer amount of time, will indeed create truss rod issues.
  9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Neck will be fine. Myself for stgring changes I chnage them one at a time, tuning each as I go. makes for easier restring. Only time I take all the strings off is if needing to due to taking neck off, or replacing pups or bridge.