1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Would this neck be considered quartersawn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaginRog, Feb 2, 2013.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Quarter sawn or not? It appears to have similar characteristics to the quarter sawn neck on my Select Jazz. Thanks in advance for any responses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I can't answer your question, but I can compliment that wood.

Nice wood!
  3. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

the grain runs about halfway between flat and quartersawn. but I wouldn't call it quartersawn. if it were, the growth rings would be straight perpendicular to the fretboard like this:

[​IMG]

either way, it's an awesome looking neck you have there.
  4. RaginRog

Thanks, and for the addition of the picture. My Fender looks like your bass, and the reason I asked was because it doesn't look like my flat sawn necks...at all.
  5. RaginRog

Thanks!:bassist:
  6. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Quarter sawn isn't always perfectly perpendicular and USACG sent me a neck that looked like yours and claimed it was quarter sawn but personally it looks like it's rift sawn. That said if you check out this image you can see that the outer portions of quarter sawn wood could look like yours or rift sawn wood. C is the quarter sawn log.
    http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/user_upload/ckeditor/quartersawn_wood.jpg
    I could be wrong but perfectly quarter sawn won't usually have a flame like that the neck you have.
  7. RaginRog

Thanks. I found that image as well, and it does appear that it could be a quarter or rift sawn cut from the edges. I appreciate your insight.
  8. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Beautiful neck. Is that a Stingray Classic?
  9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    It is a quartersawn neck. Quartersawn doesn't have to have a perfectly perpendicular grain. Riftsawn wood isn't normally used because it wastes far too much wood. That adds to cost.
  10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

11. RaginRog

Thanks for the comment.

This photo leads me to believe it's quarter sawn from the outer/smaller cut, not dead center like J.Kernodle's which looks like a dead center quarter sawn neck.

[​IMG]
  12. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

yeah, I hear you. warmoth sells some necks that it classifies as "near quartersawn".
    maybe that's what you have. :)

also fwiw, if you flats saw an entire log you'll still get some boards with perpendicular rings.

[​IMG]

on further review it looks like the other guy is right. some quartersawn wood does not have perfectly perpendicular grain.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The parallel striations make me think its quarter sawn. My money is on it being quarter sawn.
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I agree.
  15. RaginRog

I think this is probably correct, but also noticed what you mentioned about multiple grains with a deep flat sawn cut. I think it's quartersawn, just not on the level of your bass. Is yours a G&L?

Thanks for validating...a laying some money down on it. :p

16. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Your correct that it could be flat or plain as well. I was incorrect on the rift sawn, my terminology got jumbled in my brain.
  17. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

my RW P looks like the second pic. sorry...Could it be quarter sawn? cool..hehe
  18. RaginRog

It was all foreign to me until a couple of hours ago...:)
    ...and yes, it's a EBMM Classic Ray.
  19. RaginRog

Could be man!
  20. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

the one in my pic is my lakland 4-94. :)