1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would you allow the old guy to do one song?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chains, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Chains

Chains

Situation....
    The old bass player left the band in September. I auditioned, got the job and have been rehearsing since November. Our first gig is in March with more spring dates almost ready.

Problem.....
    After rehearsal last week the BL says that (Tony) might show up at the first gig and some fans might want him to play and sing his "signature" song.
    I was like uuummmm?

What you you do/say?
    He left the band. I want the fans to be happy. It's my gear...etc.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I'd let him play. Make friends with players and audiences, who knows what it can lead to. Make enemies and no-one wins.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Why did the old guy leave?
    Has his situation changed?
    Are you as good or better than the old guy?

Upside is you're a good guy, and a team player.
    Downside is playing reignites his appetite for the stage and he lobbies for his job back.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

I would.

No big deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I'd let him play... I think you might be reading into the situation a little bit too much, but I guess there could be more to the story... If it's what the fans and your bandmates want, then let him do it... it's just one song.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I've been on both ends of this situation. let the guy play. Hell, let him play a whole set. You're still the guy that's getting paid.

8. scatbass

scatbass

Why wouldn't you?

9. Not yet

Not yet

Was in similar situation in popular tribute band was in. Turned out to be re-audition for ex and I ended up quitting being sick of drama.

Most probably not case here but I'd have my radar on...

10. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Let him play. No big deal. Just tell him to bring his own bass. GL.

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep.

I agree with letting him play - and letting/make him play the whole set while you collect the paycheck and steal his fans while hanging out with them. :D

Personally, I think its smart business having popular musical guest sit in with the band - even old band members. Just make sure you have really strong songs to follow with.

12. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

What's his signature song? Will it upstage you at all?

13. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Let him play , then upstage him after he sits down ,graciously , but upstage him.

14. Bassin'

Bassin'

I played in a band once where the former bass player was married to one of the singers. When I first showed up I was surprised the singer was still there because I thought they had both left the band. So we rehearsed for a few weeks and after awhile, the former bass player started to show up as well. Apparently he had left that band because he thought he was going to be doing bigger and better things with other bands but none of them panned out. When he and his wife weren't around, the band would talk about how the bass player was hard to get a long with, the issues they had with his bass playing and stuff like that but when he was there they were all very cordial.

Anyway, for me, I felt I was always looking over my shoulder and wasn't able to get comfortable in that situation. I never made a big deal about it but is was awkward. At no point did they ever say, "don't worry, he's not our bass player, you are", or anything like that so it kind of just hung there with no resolve.

Given my own experience, if I was dealing with that situation again, I would make sure to know exactly where I stand. Is this just a one off type deal or is this something to be expected on more than one occasion? Is he going to start showing up at rehearsals? If I got the impression I was going to have another bass player looking over my shoulder, I would probably make a stand and say I wasn't comfortable with it, but if it really is just a one off deal, that would be fine. I do think it's a good idea to establish some boundaries, though.

15. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

This is my point. Is his signature song the one that features a bass solo or something where the bass is featured?

I played in a band and the old bass player would show up from time to time and play and sing Takin' Care Of Business. Have at it!

If he sings and plays Play That Funky Music and has a ripping bass solo in the middle of it I'd be less likely to comply. I probably would because I'm secure in my own playing but it's not a cool move by the band.

16. rusanderson

rusanderson

I'd just go with it. Let him play his song and get some cheers. If he comes back to the next gig, let him do it again, but after that gig and before the next, clarify with your band that you don't want this turning into a regular deal.

17. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'd be okay with that.

He'd have to bring his own bass, and I control the gain/volume on my rig. I'm not good at sharing my gear, and I don't give a damn who likes it or not.

18. paparoof

paparoof

Disclosures:
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Yep.

19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I sub for a band occasionally where the ex bass player comes to gigs. He will sit in for a song or two. No harm done. If I go to a show I may sit in for a song or two, no big deal. As long as the sit in player actually can play the song well who cares.

20. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

^^^ THAT ^^^ It's very rare I let anyone touch my basses. It's not that they're rare or extremely expensive......they're an extension of me. Territorial imperative.

OR...you can bring a beater for the other bassist (I have). As expressed: Let him have his moment, see how the crowd and band react, and take it from there. ;)

21. GlennW

GlennW

Yes, but be subtle about it so you don't look too insecure.

Got Ronson?