Would you "Bass Sync" for a superbowl halftime performance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gzarate85, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzarate85

gzarate85 Supporting Member

There's been some talk about how RHCP played with their instruments unplugged, essentially miming their performance with the exception of vocals during the superbowl halftime show.

Let's hear your thoughts. Personally, I would totally fake bass it in a venue of that magnitude!! Although, I might consider plugging in just for the "realness" factor.

I can definitely appreciate Flea not wanting to plug in to make a statement; actually I thought is was pretty funny.
  2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

I heard about this too, but didn't see any clear pics. Is it possible Bruno Mars's bass player was doing the duties?

Michael
  3. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Vocals were the only thing that were live. All other instruments were prerecorded.
  5. Doctor J

Doctor J

I'd bass sync for a cheese sandwich and a mug of tea. What's the problem with miming to something you've recorded?
  6. gzarate85

Thanks SRVLIVES.

Lol, I searched for similar threads last night and didn't see this one. Guess I should have checked again this morning. Ha!
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski

I've been waiting since Sunday night for someone to start a thread on this topic. Thank you!
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

LOL! So wouldn't everyone else here, whether they're willing to admit it or not.

As far as I know, miming with instruments at the Superbowl is a matter of practicality. It's extremely difficult to have instruments played live and sound good under circumstances like that.
  9. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Ill just put it this way: flea has absolutely nothing to prove.

I'm not a fanboy, I'm not even particularly a huge fan , but flea is a bad dude, and as much as their pop doesn't do it for me, RHCP is an epic band with alot of talent, a versatile discography, and one of the longest runs of relevance in the industry, all while playing music that the grungy funky kid in all.of us can dig
  10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Exactly. The lads jumped around and put on a show, a performance if you will, to a bunch of sports fans watching their TV, drinking beer and waiting for the second half. I fail to see the humanitarian disaster it appears has unfolded.
  11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Back in 1989 I was in a band that got signed to a major label etc. etc., and the first Record Release Party that the suits booked us for was as part of a multi-act function in this gigantic venue that held 8-10,000 people where they gave each act basically 10 minutes onstage with no set/strike time. They basically told us "you'll lip-sync to your studio tracks."

We decided if we were going to be lip-syncing there was no way in hell we would even pretend to be actually playing...so to make it really overt, we each constructed cardboard models of our instruments. Went onstage brandishing these flimsy cardboard cutouts that looked like nursery school art projects, danced around for two songs, LOLs were had. In hindsight, perhaps the single most embarassing moment in my professional career

...but I'd do it again in a heartbeat for a SuperBowl show.
  12. bassteban

bassteban

Fully w/you except for the *relevance* bit...
    Aside from that, I would do it. Still waiting for the call :)
  13. pedroims

pedroims

It is the SuperBowl ''show''...you are not there to play music, neither the fans went to stadium to listen to your music. You are there to be part of the show, kind of a clown, but it is good for your business, commonly know as band, so yeah I would do it.
  14. gzarate85

Lol! Flea talks about a similar moment. Here's a statement from Flea for those who haven't seen it.

http://redhotchilipeppers.com/news/454-a-message-from-flea

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Has any band ever played live instruments at a Superbowl halftime show? I recall seeing ZZTopp a few years back, and it was incredibly obvious that they were miming their instruments. Talk about a band that has nothing to prove. And no one cared.

How is this even a surprise? Soul Train, Top of the Pops... many, even most tv performances years back were not only mimed, but lipsynched.
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm closing this because this is not a Basses thread and because there are already threads on this (in Miscellaneous, Bassists, Live Sound...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.