1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would you be interested in talking about how you'd build a 25lb 4x10 or 16lb 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RoadRanger, Nov 11, 2012.

Would you be interested in talking about how you'd build a 25lb 4x10 or 16lb 2x10?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

2. RoadRanger

The second gen Flite cabs are 22 lbs for their 2x10 and 45 lbs for their 4x10. AFAIK they have been making composite cabs (presently lauan skinned foam?) longer than anyone else and have pretty much optimized the tradeoff between durability, sound, cost and weight? Their first gen cabs may have been a bit lighter (honeycomb composite) but didn't hold up. Unfortunately the present (3rd) owner seems to have "issues" with accepting money for cabs never shipped :( :
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/flite-cabinets-gerry-suprenant-problems-dealing-him-889421

The present Rev Sound prototype comes in at about the same weight - should be interesting to see if they can squeeze it under 20. My SVT210AV's are 26lbs with plywood enclosures and non-neo drivers so someone should be able to get a neo composite sealed cab down under 20 easily I'd think?

3. RoadRanger

Just as a side note I live only a town away from where Flite is presently located. I wonder if it would be worthwhile seeing if he'd sell out?

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Based on what I've read about him, he'd probably take your money but never transfer ownership of the company. :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. astack

astack Supporting Member

Haha, great.

Composite cab ~ 10#
    2 of the lightest 10's ~ 2*3#
    Aerogel hardware ~ 0

Done :p

7. RoadRanger

Good point! It would more be for the inventory, rights to construction details (and maybe name?) than the corporation itself as that is burdened by what he owes folks :( . OTOH maybe I could do something for those if I could get the inventory discounted by the outstanding debts? I have no idea what he has for inventory but I'd wild arse guess maybe a couple grand or so? I know he has no drivers. Those handles look custom made:
    http://www.flitecabs.com/bass/

8. RoadRanger

Is that a real thing or like a skyhook or a left handed monkey wrench? :p

9. RoadRanger

Another question is if anyone cares whether their 2x10 weighs 26 lbs like my $250 SVT210AV's or would pay more for a 19 lb version?

10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
  11. RoadRanger

So they do - with a custom label added. In any case we're going off topic so before we get yelled at ;) I wonder if that handle adds any weight over a more conventional one? I kinda like the way it looks myself :) .

12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    None of my DIY cabs weigh over 40lbs, so the only handles I have experience with are strap type.

13. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

How many handles are you people putting on your cabs? I've never thought twice about saving weight via handles.

14. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I was originally using the round handles. Some people that I trust sold me on the idea of using the ABS handles but with a metal insert ---I use the Penn Elcom 30769. It does add about 1/2# weight but it's a nice handle. For the little cabs (like a 2 x 10) a single strap handle would be fine. And lighter.

I've built 80 composite cabs so far this year. I figure that you're right--about 9# for a 2 x 10 cab. Then figure drivers and hardware.
    My 88 with two Faital 8pr200's come in at 22# but it has about 2# of horn tweet and xover parts.20# for a 2 x 10 should be no sweat.

In poplar I bet you could get 25#.

15. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

What makes the 19 lb version more expensive? Personally, I'd love a lighter cab, but the higher the premium for it, the more I'm willing to put up with the weight. I'd gladly pay a bit more, though.

EDIT: my Ashdown can cost me $450 Canadian, so to me anything between those two prices would be win if the cabs sounded good to my ear.

16. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I like fold-out handles way better. Somehow or the other, with the recessed ones, I always seem to get the back of my hand squished between a wall and the edge of a recess. Strap handles suck. Can't balance stuff on top of them. Never have tried those newfangled jobbies that are built into the edges. Those look OK.

17. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Sir! You seem to be an ideal customer profile for the groundbreaking designs of Springvale Studios no less.:D
    Looking afresh at the ill fated work of Count Von Zeppelin a totally novel
    approach to lightweight, nay! now weightless bass guitar equipment has at last been made possible.:hyper:
    "How" I hear you say, simple! it's all about buoyancy, no more spending out on honeycomb laminate structures and Neo speakers, all that glueing etc. No that's all so last week! now with the aid of this specially adapted
    underwear:
    [​IMG]
    With the cunning use of a short length of gas rated hose, an inline tap and a meteorological balloon, a totally weightless equipment situation has been achieved.
    After much research into dietary supplements our plucky testing team girls seen here:
    [​IMG]
    think the system capable of causing even an 8X10 ceramic design
    to be born aloft! with consummate ease, without the inconvenience of cylinder stored gases:
    [​IMG]
    Much in the way the Fearless and BFM designs have used licensing to
    allow a more DIY approach to manufacture.
    The Flatulifter Mark 1 design is readily available from Springvale studios for a very small consideration, thirty seven and six pence three farthing shall suffice, all sources for the very economically obtained components, are listed and taking into account the testing and development time involved in this ground breaking or should I say wind breaking new product, that has been evolved entirely for your convenience and enjoyment, is very economical.:D

18. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

I've been okay with recessed handles so far. My Ashdown 210 has them, and I've had no problems *except* that they actually do stick out a little, so that I can't put my cab on its side on a tighter stage. I think I'd like gold-out ones as well, other than the fact that I like the fewest moving parts possible on stuff.

I'm *way* with you on the straps.

19. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Problem with the fold--out handles is that they can rattle. I won't use them. I use those cool little corner handles on the Big E cabs because I can't put handles anywhere else. They aren't a one-hand carry.If the cab is going to be used mostly vertically I don't mind the strap handles on the side. You're going to be one-hand carrying anyway. The Penn Elcom strap handle is wider and softer. Actually very comfortable. On a 20 # cab I think that a strap handle is actually an easier carry than a recessed. If the cab will be oriented horizontally it's a different story. Then I'd go recessed on the long side.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I made a handle for my latest DIY build out of a piece of nylon webbing. It attaches to the sides of the cab, and is just long enough to reach over a micro head. So, it doesn't get in the way of putting a head on top of the cab. And I can carry the fully hooked up amp just like a combo.

21. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Picture?

:)