1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would you buy a bass from Amazon.com?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew B., Feb 11, 2014.

1. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Supporting Member

Any thoughts on the possible pros and cons when buying a bass from Amazon.com?

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I would absolutely buy a bass through Amazon. Their shipping is good, their customer service rocks, and they have a solid return policy. If it's a guitar you've handled elsewhere, and know the model is good, pull that trigger.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I haven't actually bought a bass from amazon myself, but I'm pretty sure that the two basses I've been given as gifts were bought from there. One of them I still have. I didn't have any problems with either, so I'd say it's the same as buying online in general. The only downside is that, of course, you don't get to try before you buy, so there's that risk.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I recently bought a Fender Dimension from Amazon when they were running that sub $300.00 deal. It arrived on time, in perfect condition, and was even setup fairly well. I'd do it again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

I know people that dit that, but they're not me.

I'm a "try before you buy" sucker and I can't help it

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
    I got my Lakland 55-01 from Amazon. It had fret sprout and a warp in the neck… I talked with Lakland about it and I was completely happy and satisfied with the results. I believe it was just a fluke and neither Amazon or Lakland's fault.

8. rtslinger

rtslinger

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Is it really buying from Amazon? Isn't it a bunch of individual e-stores that sell through Amazon?

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Yes.

I've bought several.

Pros:

Quick delivery.
    Easy no hassle return.
    The instruments I've received have always been new, and not returns. They also haven't been played by a billion kids in a guitar center.
    Often get unbeatable prices.
    I get points on my amazon card.
    It's the same to me as ordering from any online store.

Cons:

I'll get back to you if I think of any.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

That's always a nice way to do it Wallace, but by strictly following that policy, I feel you deprive yourself of some great bargains. I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of a good deal without playing it first as long as there is a reputable return policy. I've gotten some killer basses like that.

And even if you decide it's just not for you, if the deal is good enough, you can always flip it without losing money. Win/win IMO.

13. Andrew B.

The bass I'm thinking of is a Squire Vintage Modified Mustang. Unfortunately, I cannot try before I buy. The bass is not available (new or used) in any stores so far. I live in Los Angeles, and I've checked all Guitar Centers and Sam Ashs. I plan to call a couple other stores, but I don't hold out much hope now.

The purchase would be from Amazon itself. Not a different retailer using Amazon. Some of the other stores using Amazon have good ratings. One (Austin Bazaar) even has 98% positive rating out of 57,926 total ratings. But Amazon offers me familiarity with how they do things.

The other choice would be to buy from one of the well-known online music stores (sweetwater, musiciansfriend, etc.). But unless they do setup on instruments that cost less than $300 and offer a 30 day return policy, I don't know an advantage over Amazon.

Thing is, I don't like buying instruments online. At least with a store, there might be more than one of the same model and I could pick the best one. But I don't see another choice. At least I am able to return it if I don't like it.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sweetwater will set the bass up for you. This is however something you really should research and learn to do yourself.

An advantage of buying at musiciansfriend and americanmusical is that you can just about always haggle them down 15% off the listed price. They offer 15% off every other holiday so they're usually willing to do it with no questions.

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You could order it from GC or Sam ash and have it delivered to the store. You'll have to pay for it before you play it, but at least you can return it in person rather than pay to ship it back if there's anything wrong with it.

16. Herrick

Herrick

I've bought three. No problems. Returning it is as simple as printing out the return label, taping it on the box, & waiting for UPS to pick it up...or you can drop it off at a UPS store.

17. davegt666

davegt666

I bought my Jackson 4-String CBX on Amazon because either everyone else was back ordered until the end of April or they only had it in black. I got a Quicksilver model shipped via prime, no taxes, and I got to use a gift card I got for Christmas. Yes. I would definitely buy on Amazon.

18. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Okay so what did you do with the bass, did you return it to Amazon or did you send it to Lakland for warranty work or did you just keep the bass with a bad neck?
    Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

19. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

I got a Blacktop Tele from Music 123 via Amazon. The listing was incomplete in that it did not include the guitar had a faulty switch. It was annoying but ultimately, it was sold as used even though it appears completely new to me. A new switch is a small price to pay to get the deal I got.

*I've also bought thousands of dollars worth of various stuff through Amazon and have always been totally satisfied with every purchase even if a return or exchange was required.

20. Andrew B.

I contacted Sweetwater about this and was told "We get every guitar over 300 USD and make sure that they are to factory specs, and if they are not we send them back to the manufacture." The Squire VM Mustang bass is less than 300 USD, so I figured it didn't apply here. I found other stores that do setups but they have short windows for return.

21. portpc

portpc

I'd order anything from AMAZON as long as I knew exactly what I was ordering.

Doing your homework is essential as you dealing with a fulfillment center, Not a storefront or specialized warehouse. They ship things quickly & accurately, That is their business.