Would you buy an 8ohm 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brattbugg@sbcgl, Jan 15, 2013.

1. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

I have the opportunity to buy a Mesa Diesel 6x10 for what I believe is a good price. The guy who owns it is very good about keeping his gear nice and it is all original. Thing is, its an 8 ohm cab. I am going to hook it to a Carbine m6 I just bought here on TB. I'm just not sure if I would ever see adding a cab to a setup like that. That's why I was thinking I should go with a 4ohm "bigger" cab. I use a powerhouse 4x10 right now and I won't be making any moves untill I get to use that setup for a few shows, but what are your thoughts?
  2. Rooster009

Rooster009

Adding the 6x10 to your 4x10 on outdoor gigs would be awesome! I mean if an 8x10 is good, who wouldn't want a 10x10 right. As long as they are both 8 ohm anyway. Even then, put the 4x10 on top and listen for any signs of stress. I say go for it anyway 300 watts or so to a 6x10 is plenty.
  3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

mmm.....id say go for it just because Mesa heads are usually rated more conservative then most heads out there
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The difference in perceived "loudness" between an 8Ω cabinet and an otherwise identical 4Ω version is not going to be all that great. If you like how the 6x10 sounds, buy it and use it. There really is no need to squeeze every last drop of power out of an amplifier.

Register to disable this ad
  5. Joedog

Joedog

You can't generalize by ohms alone. Best thing (by far) is to do a side by side if possible. Cab design, speakers, etc. all make a big difference. BUT, everything else being equal, 6 10's will move more air than 4 10's. I swapped an 8 ohm EV for a 4 ohm GK speaker in my MB115, and the 8 ohm is actually louder. So don't "assume". Maybe it will be a better/louder cab for your situation, maybe not. Only one way to tell for sure!
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

How are they getting 8 ohm nominal load from six speakers? How long will they supply the very special drivers needed if it is an 8 ohm cab?
  7. brattbugg@sbcgl

I'm not really looking for louder necessarily, my thought was that a 6x10, which I consider to be the start of the big cabs, is probobly going to be a cabinet I would use solo with no other cab. That being said, I was thinking that kind of box should be 4ohm. If it was a 4x10, I'd want 8ohm, cause I could see adding a second cab. You never know, maybe one day I'll play Cobo Hall and need a few fridges! Oh yeah! that's not gonna happen, I'm in a cover band...
  8. brattbugg@sbcgl

I'm not sure, I was told its an 8 ohm cab. Maybe they rounded it.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I wonder if it really is an 8 ohm cab. Not many ways to get 6 drivers to add up like that. 5.3 ohms would make more sense. I'd look into this further.
  10. B-string

Rounding to 6 ohms I can understand (typical 510 is 5.33 ohms). I am curious is all.
  11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It is mathematically possible but kind of a weird deal and requires mixing speakers.

Option 1: 4 - 4 ohm speakers in series (16 ohms) then wired in parallel with 2 - 8 ohm speakers in series (16 ohms) = 8 ohm load

Option 2: 4 - 16 ohm speakers in parallel (4 ohms) then wired in series with a 2 - 8 ohm speakers that are wired in parallel (4 ohms) = 8 ohm load.

Long story short, I doubt it's an 8 Ohm Cabinet.
  12. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

all the current 6X10 cabs on MESA's site are listed as 4 ohms for what that is worth.
  13. Ragoo

Ragoo

8 ohm 6x10 and an 8 ohm 2x15...

...On top of one another...

Those Marshall stacks sure sound pretty wimpy now, don't they?
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

I would because you can add another 8ohm cab of your choice and make it a 4 ohm load!
  15. brattbugg@sbcgl

Hmmm, I guess I need to find out what this cab really is.
  16. B-string

Good idea ;) Important info! :)
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Yes, you do.

And +1 to everything everybody else said regarding impedance.

Granted, a 610 should be loud enoigh for anything you need to do, bit the 8ohm thing is odd. Some use OEM 24ohm drivers for 4ohm 610's, other wire it to 5.33 and label it 4ohms because it's close enough, both for SS power and for all but the most finicky of "boutique" tube amps.

Anyway, I'd just find out what it really is and determine if it's compatible with your amp, that's all. I can't imagine needing to add another cab to any half decent 610....and a Mesa is more than half decent.

And +1 to the excersize in futility that "squeezing every last drop of power out of your amp" is. If it's SS, running a bit above minimum is actually easier on it. If it's tube, the closer the match, the better.
  18. brattbugg@sbcgl

Well I double checked with the seller and he claims that it is in fact marked on the back of the cab as 8 ohm. I googled the cab and cant find much info, Im at a loss.
  19. brattbugg@sbcgl

It might be hard to see but heres a shot of the jack plate that says 8 ohms. I think im gonna call Mesa and get some info. More than anything, Im just curious.

Attached Files:

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member