1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Would you/do you submit to drug tests at work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zachoff, Feb 15, 2013.

Would you/do you submit to a drug test?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2013.
  1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Carrots?

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zachoff

zachoff

Just wondering. I don't do anything other than drink anymore but will absolutely not submit to a drug test... No matter the company or the job. All I do every day is type, listen to music, and attend the occasional meeting so I have no reason nor want to prove my innocence.

This came about reading a job req, BTW... Me thinking to myself "Man, could do this for sure." and then reading the bit about random and pre-employment drug testing. Booo!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That could prevent you from getting a very desirable job. Kind of a silly place to make a stand if you're clean.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Clearly this job is not desirable enough for him to want to compromise his values. Still, point understood. What if the job requirement was to test the durability of products meant to withstand constant sex with super modals, sky diving, and puppy holding and it paid a billion dollars per day?

Where do you draw the line? I personally won't take my junk out for a stranger at all. I am also on the "never ever" band wagon.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    His values. Not wanting anyone to know that he doesn't do drugs?

In the company I ran, we never did drug testing before or during employment. But if drugs had become a significant problem, I would have instituted it in a second. To those whose "values" precluded them taking the tests, I don't think I'd've missed them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I have been hired a lot, and been in a position to hire people and
    Iv'e only ever known of two reasons for this.

#1: They don't have the $40 to spend on a Physical/ drug test until they reimbursed

or

#2: They're going to test positive for drug usage

7. Simo98

Simo98

Depends how much I need the job.

I'd like to say I'd never submit to a drug test, I don't like the idea, and I don't think it should be any of my employers business what I am doing in my private time. If you believe me to be unfit to work for whatever reason, tell me, but I would never show up to a job under the influence of any impairing drug.

If I really needed a job, and the choice was between taking a drug test or being unemployed and out of money, I'd go with the drug test. I'd look for another job as soon as possible, but I'd make do in the interim. I'd rather not work for an employer who doesn't have faith in my judgement and abilities, but I might not always have the option to be so picky.

I understand that for some employers they really don't have much of a choice in the matter, and that it's somewhat of a necessary evil, and in a large scale business it's easier just to test and be done with it rather than deal with the problems that could arise otherwise, but I've always had the good fortune to work in a small business environment where I have a good working relationship with my employer, and I see no reason why they would ever request I submit to a drug test.

I hope it's never a sacrifice I have to make, but I doubt I'll be so lucky.

Besides, if I need a job that much I doubt I'll have the disposable income to spend on anything they might test for ;)

8. Simo98

Simo98

If I thought there was a chance I'd test positive, I'd level with whomever was interviewing me there and then. I'd hope they'd see that as a positive rather than a negative, but that may not be the case. If it's not something they could be reasonable about, then it's not the place I'd want to work.

As mentioned, if I was desperate for work it's probably something I'd have to give in to, but I'd be looking for something else that same day.

Big business is a very different environment, but big business is also something I'd never want to work for, for essentially the same reason, so I guess that sort of makes sense.

9. line6man

line6man

It is rather insulting to think that I should have to prove to anyone that I don't do drugs! It's like being told you are guilty until proven innocent. But I don't care enough to make any fuss over it. If an employer wants me to pee in a cup in exchange for employment, that's what I'm going to do.

10. oniman7

oniman7

I understand the reason for job testing. With unemployment so high there are a lot of workers to choose from. If you were the company, given two people who are absolutely identical in every way except their willingness to take a drug test, wouldn't you choose the guy who would take it every time?

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Most of my jobs have been in industries where drug testing is required by Federal law. Since the only way to have these jobs was to submit to random drug testing, and since I really love what I do, I submit to the tests. This is a really stupid place to take a stand, IMO. If you want the job, you do what it takes to get it, and to keep it. Refusing a drug test will never serve you well.

12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Where I work, I drug test my clients (adolescents) randomly. There have been a few times where one or several over the years have whined about staff not being drug tested... So I gave myself tests for them. I'd gladly give a sample to my employer as well. It's very rare that I dabble in anything that would cause a positive result. If I knew that screens were being implemented by our corporate office it would affect me *very* little. If they spring a test on me today, I'd come up 100% clean regardless of what they tested for. Actually, if they tested me any day in the past month it'd be the same result.

I get paid fairly well for my field. If my employer wants to know I'm not coming to work messed up and that they are paying me for that kind of behavior, they have EVERY right to know.

It always surprises me when innocent people are so outspoken against others checking their behavior. This thread, and the shoplifting thread, immediately come to mind.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I can only say : If you are clean and got nothing to hide, just do it. Then they won't bother you with that any longer ;)

14. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Where I work pre-employment testing for all job applicants considered for hiring. Many of our employees have CDLs so they get random and post accident testing as well.

Everybody else is subject to testing for reasonable suspicion. Refuse a test and your employment is terminated.

Last place I worked we had some large high speed equipment -- I'm talking four stories high and while it was all equipped with guards it was not a place you wanted anyone impaired in any way. Any mistake in judgement could easily result in serious injury or death, the loss of thousands of dollars in material or millions of dollars in equipment.

I came in early one morning and saw an employee way up on a deck, sitting motionless on a five gallon bucket. I watched him awhile and called a supervisor out.

We climbed up and the guy was obviously asleep. We sent him off for reasonable cause testing.

A couple hours later the guy comes back, marches into my office, throws the test results in my chest and announces " Good news, they found nothing but marijuana!"

My answer was " That is good news. It should make finding a new job much easier."

15. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I don't drink, I don't smoke (even tho I'd probably seem a lot happier if I did both). Give me the job, keep me on three months probation (isn't that the usual routine?) til I prove myself, but then get the **** out of my way, the fact I show up past that point to your **** facility is proof ****ing enough that it shouldn't matter if I'm on drugs or not, I can do the job and put up with the rest of your staff enough that I'm nobody's problem.

16. duff beer

duff beer

It doesn't surprise me any more. We're raising a generation of people (both in the US and in Canada) who believe they're owed a living...but only under the conditions that they dictate.

17. samtastic

samtastic Supporting Member

Pre-employment and random drug testing have become the norm for most mid to large companies, also any company that uses machinery or has drivers. I believe it is an invasion of privacy but if you want to have a job sometimes you need to give in. If a company wants you to take the test it should be at their cost unless you are a contract employee.

I can not count the amount of people that I did not hire because they either failed the test or did not take the test.

If you have a good paying job, pissing in a cup is inconvenient but it is a lot easier then finding a new job.

18. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

i'd do it because i need the work, but i have some real reservations about it.

when they test for alcohol, they are testing to see if you are drunk RIGHT THEN & THERE...very reasonable in my opinion and we don't want drunk drivers on our roads or anywhere else.

when they test for drugs, however, it is not to see if you are under the influence, right then and there, it is to see if you use drugs at all... a very different kettle of fish. in other words, they are testing to see if your lifestyle measures up.

until they have a drug test that, like testing for alcohol, measures whether you under the influence, right now, i am against it...just like Thick said about the marijuana guy.

was there proof that he was smoking pot at work (or had smoked before work)...NO. he just smoked period and that was enough to get him fired...would they have fired someone who took a couple drinks the night before.

i don't think so...different tests altogether...drunk right now...ok. lifestyle test...not ok

[​IMG]

19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Unlike the previous generation who weren't submitted to such widespread testing of of bodily fluids, who didn't have companies checking comments they've made or what they do outwith work.

It's not so much being owed a living, it's that a lot of people are tired of having every single facet of their life read into, for the privilage to work. People are simply drawing a line in the sand at where they believe work should stop being part of their life.

More and more it seems that being hired has very little to do with the job 9-5, you're expected to live the job, even if it's a crappy minimum wage affair.

Thankfully this kinda nonsense isn't as widespread over here (yet).

20. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have no problem with it...

21. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

For me personally ..... If the opportunity is good enough, I have no problem. But if your going to monitor my personal life..... Your gonna pay extra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.