Would You Mod A Legend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ffutterman, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    If you got your hands on a legendary bass, like the Mothman, would you mod it?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No sir I would not nor would I stab a unicorn in the heart if I saw one in the forest.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    People do it to legendary Wishbasses all the time.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Now that's something I hadn't considered and I respectively change my opinion to yes I would sir.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

You don't mod the Mothman. The Mothman mods you.
  7. BassAgent

BassAgent

Well, they became legends for a reason. Maybe not their excellent quality, but they would have to have a certain "zing" about it. So if it's a fantastic instrument ánd it's a legend, why mod it?
  8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

I might try but no doubt would succumb to the power of the Mothman and end up modding myself.....
  9. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

my spector legend? im doing it slowly :)
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Depends on what you mean by legendary. To me it means a bass played by a famous bassist in a famous situation, whether a landmark album or historic performance, Like the bass (or basses) that Entwhistle used on Tommy, or the bass that Reddding used at Woodstock. And no, I would not mod anything like that. I'd be scared poopless to even simply play it (I'd get over it, though, LOL).
  11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

The Mothman? No, unless the Ancient Ones said it was ok.
  12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

If I found one that had been completely destroyed and needed to be rebuilt, I'd consider mods. An intact, historic bass? No way. Why would you want to do that? If you want to play something different, sell it, and buy something different.
  13. Mikio

Mikio

I don't like the thought of modding expensive basses in general, only cheaper ones.
  14. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Which TBer ended up owning (i.e. pledging servitude to) the Mothman? I remember some sort of TB lottery but do not recall who won.
  15. your idol

your idol

QFT
  16. mas502arc

mas502arc

Ancient writings speak of a 'Mothman Curse' where the disturbed embodied evil energies within the instrument make any trespasser go crazy. Many have died, committed suicide, ended in mental institutions, or have gone missing in their attempts to mod the Mothman bass...
    :bag:
  17. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Actually, Redding did not play at Woodstock. The original experience had already disbanded, and at Woodstock Hendrix was playing with Gypsy Sun & The Rainbows. Redding had quit in June of '69, and was replaced by Billy Cox, who used a Tele bass at Woodstock.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never modded any bass. If I don't like the way it sounds when I try it in the store, I won't buy it and if I do like the way it sounds, there is no reason to mod it.

I would consider buying an inexpensive bass and try modding it just for experimentation but would not use it for one of my main basses.
  19. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

I've bought basses that felt great, but wasn't thrilled with the sound. That's what replacement pickups, pots, strings, etc. are for.
  20. your idol

your idol

at one time i had a VERY unhealthy obsession with owning the mothman. i still want to own it honestly..i just cant afford to pursue it like i used to. im pretty sure if i bought it i would keep it forever and wouldnt mod it.
  21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL. Perfect.