Would you play a gig with a Confederate Flag?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I am in a cover band, and we just got booked at a bar that i found out has confederate flag behind the stage. I have been known to be all about not being PC when joking around but I am not sure how I feel about playing a gig where we will be playing in front of the flag. We were told we couldn't coover it with our banner.
  2. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

If photos or videos of your band with the flag were to circulate on the internet, would it hurt or help your reputation? Easy to do with today's technology. Think about the long term consequences. Only you guys can decide if the gig is worth it or not.
  3. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

I wouldn't. I know a lot of people fly it and state that it has nothing to do with racism and to them it might not but I wouldn't just because it bothers a lot of people. Controversial no matter how you look at it.
  4. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I think you are looking too far into this. I wouldn't worry about it.
  7. Thisguy

Thisguy

Nope. No way, no how.
  8. madrob

madrob

9. blastoff99

blastoff99

Absolutely not. If the moral end of it doesn't make you squeamish, then shastaband's comments should.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

I wouldn't, but then it's moot considering where I live. I know my bandmates would be against it.

IMO, that sentence right there reveals much about the about the proprietor and establishment. Gut-check time for you and your mates.
  11. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

i would not. Shastaband hit it right on the head. ultimately choice is up to you and your band
  12. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You guys should dress up in white sheets and play it.
  13. Bingo

Bingo Banned

Keep it in perspective. Take a look at their schedule. If they have 100 bands a year, then go ahead and do it. Obviously, every band that plays there isn't harmed by the experience. If they are new, only have a few bands a year, or nobody seems to know much about the place, it may be a safe bet to walk away.

On a personal level it wouldn't bother me. It's just a gig. Three of the biggest redneck musicians I know (who all know more southern rock music than I do) are black. One constantly wears a T-shirt with a croc or gator draped in a rebel flag during shows.

If you avoid everything that could potentially offend anyone, you probably wouldn't play most of the music you play. For that matter you would probably have to throw away most everything you own. Some people are really put off by pop tarts or orange shirts. (And, no, I am not eating pop tarts in an orange shirt.)
  14. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Think of it this way, would you play on a stage with the Nazi swastika displayed? IF not identical, those two symbols are very alike.
  15. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I would just look at this as a business decision.

Like someone said earlier, if playing in front of it would hurt your booking prospects in the market your in, it would be silly to do, especially if you don't agree with the values usually associated with it in the first place.

If you don't foresee any actual adverse consequences from playing the gig, and you're comfortable enough with your own values to not care what is being displayed behind your band, I'd go for it.
  16. repoman

repoman

No way would I stand in front of that flag and play a gig. The confederate states rebelled mostly because they opposed the Emancipation Proclamation. As an emblem of racism nothing else comes close until the one used in 1930s Germany. Of, course, this is just my humble opinion.
  17. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Absolutely would, and I'm an American Indian.
  18. Wesley R

Wesley R

I would however be prepared to do a bunch of Southern Rock.
  19. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

I agree completely with dalkowski. I also would not play there, but there is no chance of that situation where I live and work. You and your band definitely need to discuss this before accepting the gig.
  20. cableguy

cableguy

With at least one request for Freebird.:p
  21. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I mean its not like your clothes will suddenly turn into white sheets while playing, the flag while controversial, IS historical. Maybe there was an important confederate event or point in History near that bar? Back during that era of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.