Would you run from this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toomanyslurpees, Jan 23, 2014.

1. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

So I stumbled across a used 2013 Gibson ES-335 bass for a decent price, mint condition... I've thought about a hollowbody for a long time...I love the look of it and I love the big chunky neck on it. I caved and bought it, brought it home, went to tweak the truss rod pretty much right away because the action is quite high. I take the cover off to find the truss nut is stripped, there's a fair bit of thread coming out beyond the nut and the washer looks like it's turned clockwise. I'm pretty sure the truss rod is maxed out which scares me being it's a year old and there's still a ton of relief in the neck. I was doing to just return for a refund tonight but decided I would hold off until I heard from the store's tech. it gives me cold feet, wondering if it's going to be solid in the long run. Just thought I'd ask about opinions or if some of you have had similar experiences?

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I would run as fast as my stubby legs would carry me, unless the store you buy from can make a significant set-up guarantee, and demonstrate that the truss rod is completely useable and not maxed out.

3. pfox14

pfox14

I would get a refund pronto.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I'm a pretty "handy" individual. I can repair almost any guitar's electronics, do some fret work, paint and finish, no problems.

But... a stripped truss rod is beyond my comfort zone. It's the ONE deal breaker for me. Bad truss rod= no neck adjustment = no deal.

Take it back YESTERDAY. Get your money back, and shame on them for not knowing (or disclosing) that this bass had been monkeyed with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Definitely get a refund.

I'm not sure I'd trust the stores in house tech to tell you what's going on with either, unless he basically says it's totally bunk and you should return it.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

YES! A few years ago I found a really nice VM P bass in white at GC. It had a really awesome Warmoth Birdseye maple neck which cost almost what the bass cost new on it.
    The bass was only 125.00 but when I got it home the truss rod in the heel of the neck was clamped down so tight a guitar tech nor I could not budge it. Back it went, what appeared to a great deal ..wasn't.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

9. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Thanks, you're all echoing what I was already thinking, too bad, sure would be a nice bass... I'll see what they say, the only reason I didn't get a refund right away is that I trust this store will be no hassle if I wait to hear what the tech has to say before making up my mind, but I'm 99% sure it's going back.

10. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

You can fix a truss rod by taking the fingerboard off and stuff. But that's and expensive repair. Get your money back.

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Pics?

Based only on Your rather vague description, why not just ask the store you bought it from for a new nut, a few washers if the threads are really maxed out (IMLE that's impossible with Gibson, at least 1/2" extra in all that I've came across) and enjoy the instrument?

Gibson TR nuts are brass or bronze for a reason.
    Fender TR nuts are often steel for a different reason ;).

Regards
    Sam

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Unless you're really dead set on the bass, I'd return it. It can be repaired- but it's going to cost quite a pretty penny- as in painfully expensive. Let this one go, it's more of a wall ornament as it is.

13. f64

f64 Supporting Member

If you've already returned it this would be moot. One way to repair the relief would be to slightly loosen the strings then back the truss nut off. Place a few additional washers on the rod and put a new nut on loosely. Gibson use a brass nut which is soft and it's designed to fail first before causing more damage. Bring the strings in tune and let it sit for a little while. Then slowly, over the next 12 hours, tighten the truss nut, in small increments, bringing the action to where you want it.
    I've done this on LP's with good success.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. I'm a pretty handy guy too when it comes to guitar/bass repair, but I'd only consider a truss rod repair if I was already going to take the fingerboard off to convert to fretless or something like that.

Otherwise take it back.

15. Weirdo

Weirdo

I had an ESP EC 414, from eBay, which was fine as i don't bother with adjusting necks, i liked it as-is.
    When i sold it to a friend, he said the truss nut was completely stripped.. Needless to say he sold it.
    I dunno, it seems to be a bit of a growing problem..