Would you trade a Pino for NYC fodera ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Dec 3, 2013.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Hi bass community !
    I tried yesterday a very nice fodera NYC 5 string (one with butterfly on headstock)
    The bass has a nice flamed top , nice tone and smooth to play !
    But the Pino is the Pino tone is great and easy to play as well !

What do you guys think ?"
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I wouldn't.
  3. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Thanks ! But why ?
  4. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

In a heart beat.
  5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Yeah but why :)?
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You didn't ask why in your first post.

First, I think all Fodera's have the butterfly in the headstock (at least the ones I've seen).

If it's being offered as a straight trade for a Pino, then it's probably not one of the $12K ones but more likely one of the models that is offered without options (they build them in batches). I've played one before and thought it was nice but I wasn't getting any gas from it.
  7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

No it's not a custom but a NYC !
    I used to have custom but really the the NYC had a great neck
    Tone was great too it's a fair trade of course
  8. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Some NYC don't have the butterfly on the headstock (old NYC)
  9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

If you trade a Pino for a Fodera, there will be a very big price difference.. So if we talk about a 6k - 10k Fodera and a 3K Pino bass, you sure may put some extra money on top of that..

But if you want a Fodera, go for it. Wanna stay with your Pino? Keep it :)
  10. Cashu

Cashu Supporting Member

Does the NYC Fodera have single coils or dual coils?

It seems to me you should decide whether you prefer the p or j sound?

I used to have an NYC Fodera (most recent build with "Fodera" and the butterfly), flamed walnut top with single coils. It played and sounded awesome. But it was a little on the heavy side. Build quality was terrific.

I've seen used NYC Foderas in the $2000-3500 range. I sold mine for around $3000.
  11. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High Supporting Member

I wouldn't make the trade.
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

In a heartbeat.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

A new but discontinued NYC Fodera can still be bought for $2999-3499. It isn't a MIA Standard or Custom Fodera.

They are apparently great basses (think Sadowsky Metro with arguably better electronics) so if your bass is worth less than $3k, good deal. If it is worth more, not so great deal. Of course, you would have to decide if you like the Fodera NYC tone better.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

You're asking about two very different basses. Those who prefer Fender style basses will tell you to stick with the Fender. Likewise, those who prefer Fodera will tell you to make the trade.

The Pino is four string, right? In that case, I would go with the Fodera simply because I play five stringers. Five string will make you more marketable because you can easily cover modern rock/pop/country/blues songs with bass lines that travel below low E.

If number of strings doesn't matter to you and you can work a fair trade, just pick one and go with it. If it doesn't work out then you'll find something else you like, lots of choices out there.
  15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

A new Pino is over $4500. I wouldn't do that trade. The NYC series Foderas were great basses for sure, but I think you would end up losing a bit in that deal. They aren't at the same level as the custom shop Foderas. Not to mention the Pino is pretty much top of the line in terms of a killer sounding, killer feeling vintage style Precision bass. I guess it depends on what styles of music you are playing right now and how much studio work you do(where P-basses continue to reign king).
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

NO! The Pino is probably the finest P Bass I've ever played. The Fodera NYC line is nice, if somewhat variable (depending on the year made). Some are quite nice, but not anything 'special' (i.e., compared to Lulls, Sadowsky, etc.). If you want a boutique J, there are better options out there.

Edit: If you do want to go to a J, and love that particular NYC, what the heck. Not a great deal for you, but probably only about a $500 mismatch on what those basses are worth used.
  17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I think a couple of those posters above are mistaking the NYC model Fodera for the custom shop Foderas. The NYC was designed as a more budget "standard" line, and like Ken said, they were a bit variable. They aren't really anything like the high end Foderas we all associate with that brand. The Pino is basically Fenders flag ship Precision bass. As good as and in some cases better than buying a vintage pre-CBS precision.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 This is what I was trying to communicate. You did it better:)
  19. Eric66

Eric66

Do not ever sell the Pino. Then you are no longer subject to Fender P bass GAS.
    Save some money and buy a Fodera in the future.
  20. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

+1. Don't do it.