Wound Gut History

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by goodgig, Feb 2, 2014.

1. goodgig

goodgig

I currently have a full set of guts on my bass: wound E and A and plain guts for the D & G. As I'm playing through some classical etudes, I'm curious as to when the wound D and G came into prominent use in the orchestra. Any one know the history of wound guts? Also do any orchestral players still use plain guts on the D & G?
  2. goodgig

goodgig

Hmmm. Nobody? I thought a title like "Wound Gut History" would have brought loads of info, interest and insight. :confused:
  3. tyb507

tyb507

Interest, yes...I tried to find an article I read recently that covered this subject, bu couldn't find it.
  4. eerbrev

eerbrev

http://earlybass.com/ is a good place to start regarding Gut strings and their history.

I don't know of anyone who uses unwound gut strings on their orchestral bass (for modern playing), though that doesn't mean anything. My teacher plays on plain guts on top in a baroque ensemble, and uses wound guts on the bottom. Another teacher I have worked with uses Eudoxas on the bottom (and occasionally on top), and I know that Alan Molitz, last time I checked, uses Eudoxas all the way across as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. goodgig

goodgig

eerbrev - thanks for the info and link. I was playing Bach along with one of my cello students this past week. The plain guts sure do sound nice with baroque.