1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wow...don't follow the Royal's bidness but...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hover, Dec 7, 2012.

1. hover

hover

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Read it on the BBC. Whatever the main contributing factors (radio station, media, hospital management/culture, or just individual issues) it's extremely sad. It wasn't really that big a deal but was headline news on the BBC.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

It is really sad that she apparently took it that hard.
  5. Relic

I can imagine that it was probably utterly humiliating being that it was widely reported...
    Of course without knowing the person nor their circumstances it's tough to say if this situation was "it" or maybe the last straw in a string of issues she had been dealing with, who knows. It's especially sad that she's leaving two children and a husband behind...:(
    On a related note, I really dislike DJ pranks like that anyway. Asinine stuff.
  6. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Hopefully opens up the more important conversation we all need to be having- can we get rid of hokey, terrible morning talk radio junk? It's almost universally mindless and irritating, these bits are never funny and are usually just uncomfortable. I find it especially aggravating that they would have a bit that centered around getting involved in someone's private life, and surrounding something serious. It's pathetic.

I'd like to have a "come meet the morning show crew" event in every city in the country, and then arrest anyone who shows up and deport them to Canada.

Horrible, sad situation.
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

She took it kind of hard, didn't she? I mean, all she did was transfer the call to another hospital employee. It's not like she ran into Kate's room with phone in hand telling her the Queen Mum wanted to talk to her.
  8. spade2you

spade2you

She was probably very afraid she'd likely be canned and pay dearly.
  9. Relic

from what I gather, it was a little more than that. She had answered several questions on the patient's condition and so on. Apparently that's a bit of a policy faux pas. She then transferred to a nurse in the particular ward. Not that's it's still a big deal, I personally don't think it is but again, the media grabbed it and ran with it like those ignoramuses tend to do..
  10. Angus

No, the one who answered the questions is still alive. The girl who committed suicide was the one who transferred to the woman who answered questions.

In the US, even acknowledging that a patient is being treated at the hospital is a violation of their privacy rights, so in the US both of the women would be fired, and there would likely be a lawsuit. I'm not sure what the privacy laws state in the UK, but both women probably still would be fired.
  11. Relic

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I def misread that.
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I came here to say just this. I can not stand them, and I give people who think they are funny the stink eye. This is just more fuel for my hatred.
  13. Angus

Agreed.

Though for the sake of fairness, the media who are suggesting that the radio DJs are at fault for the death are ridiculous. Though the prank is in horrible taste and it drives me nuts, they cannot be held accountable for the actions the woman took thereafter. I'm sure she was not stable to begin with, but I can only imagine that the amount of unwanted, crushing press attention she received afterward was intolerable.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm not sure what the procedure would be, but they'd certainly be up **** creek without paddle, particularly the nurse who gave away the details.

Trying to get details of anyone via such means is simply disgusting. Hope the radio guys don't get away with it.
  15. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

I would think that anyone who would commit suicide over a prank (even one leading to being embarrassed and losing your job) probably had underlying mental or emotional issues prior to the prank.
  16. spade2you

spade2you

You're about to get fired and blasted on global news. No big deal?
  17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I wouldnt say its "no big deal", but I dont think its enough to drive a mentally stable person to suicide. An opportunist would use such an occasion to launch their 15 minutes of fame.
  18. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Horrible story. My mother showed me the article in the paper about the prank when I visited her the other day. I said then it was horrible, and predicted people would be fired. I never thought it would end like this. I hope the brainless scum of a DJ that thought if this idea feels HORRIBLE (although I doubt he even cares).
  19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I think thats a harsh statement, Eric. I dont think theres any way the person who came up with the idea could have guessed it would turn out this way. But to say that you doubt he even cares... on what are you basing that assumption? I mean, maybe youre right, but Id like to give a little more credit to a persons humanity before outright dismissing someone cares that they indirectly drove someone to suicide.
  20. Relic

I dunno....I'm not so sure that I fully agree. My guess would be that you're absolutely right about there probably being some sort of instability there, but given the publicity of the prank.. I couldn't say that for sure TBH. The feeling of humiliation may have been a wee bit more than just a "screw up at work" sorta thing. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the public embarrassment and humiliation were what caused the instability..? (or depression, or whatever it can be called)

I guess it's sort of a chicken vs the egg argument