1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.
  2. Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting. Note that the Classifieds Forums are now single-post ads. You can edit your ad any time to enter additional information. You can BUMP your ad by clicking the "bump" link at the bottom of your post (once every 24 hours). Thanks!

WTB 3/4 Upright. Entry level bass

Discussion in 'Wanted: Double Basses, Amps, & Accessories' started by addictions, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addictions

addictions Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I couldn't find anything in the classified rules about WTB posts, so forgive me if this is against the rules.

I sold some gear recently to buy an upright off of a friend, but he decided he wanted to keep it at the last minute.

So, I am looking for my first upright. I would like something 3/4 size with a case and a bow. My budget is $1300 to $1400 and I am in the Cleveland area.

I have checked local shops around me, and I haven't been able to find anything worthwhile.

Thanks.
  2. neal davis

neal davis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If you are willing to drive to Detroit look up the thread in here about two old Kay basses for sale, right in your price range. Good luck.
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

If you're willing to drive to Cincy, the Bass Cellar has a Shen SB-80 for $1400 plus tax including bag and cheap strings as does J.R. Judd Violins in Williamsport PA.
  4. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

5. addictions

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks for the links, guys. I may check out that carved Shen. A bit over my range, but that's nothing a little haggling can't cure.

The drives are a bit far though. It seems that my area doesn't have that many shops / luthiers for DB, but a few hours in any direction and I hit a gold mine. I may have to make that drive.
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Making the drive and trying a bass out in person is a much safer bet than buying something through the mail and being stuck with whatever you get, even in the case of fairly predictable basses like Shens.

The bass in Lansing has been on the market for some time. I was considering buying it for myself until I came across the Shen Willow Rogeri I bought over the summer.

John Sprague from CSC Products in Rochester (Shen's importer for many years) told me it was an early-production model similar to the current SB-300 that was probably sold through the retail shop Shen operated before he moved back to China to personally oversee production in his facility.
  7. addictions

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hey, Sherriff. Thanks for the info. I don't plan on ordering something through the mail, I would just like to find something thats not a 3-4 hour drive.

I just checked out the Willow Rogeri, and that thing looks beautiful. Wish I had the coin. :bawl:
  8. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

It's a MONSTER. As good or better, in some respects, than any of my ancient Germans. I've liked every hybrid and fully-carved Shen that I've played, but my current bass is ridiculous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.