1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

WTB: Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories' started by ShoeManiac, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

WTB: Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass Neck

The title says it all. I'm in the process of building a project bass, and the neck I have in mind for this project is a Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass neck. I've got a Road Worn Jazz of my own already, but I'm not keen on parting it out for this project.

If you've got a Road Worn Jazz bass neck to sell, please drop me a line. Thanks!

***NOTE: I'm also interested in AVRI 62 Jazz necks or possibly Classic 60's Jazz lacquer finished necks.***
  2. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Hey Shoe, if you don't mind saying, what project idea you have brewing?
  3. ShoeManiac

I'm building a Precision bass with a Jazz bass neck.

I've been gradually putting together the parts for this project bass. My aim is to use both a body and neck that are finished in nitro. Thus far, I've got a Fender Classic 50's Precision body with the lacquer finish. And it's black, which is the color I've been wanting for this project bass.

The neck is the next big part of this puzzle. I currently have a Fender Roadworn Jazz bass, and the neck on that bass feels amazing. To the point where I think that same sort of neck would be ideal for this project, too. The nut width is just right for me. Plus, it's also finished in nitro and has the rosewood fingerboard that I want. The relic finish on the neck is really what puts this neck over the top for me since it adds to the comfort of the neck in my hands.

I've got a couple of alternate necks in mind if a Roadworn Jazz neck doesn't become available. An AVRI 62 Jazz neck would be the next most desirable choice. And if that doesn't come about, a Classic 60's Jazz with the lacquer finish would be the final option.

As for the rest of the project, all of the parts are on hand: a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Precision pickup, a Fender vintage 60's style bridge, strap pegs, tort pickguard, neck plate & bolts, and a Stew Mac premium wiring harness with CTS pots.

But still, the search for the right neck continues! If it's loaded, that's ideal. If not, I've got a good source for tuners and a nut.
  4. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

That is going to be SWEET. I am sure that setup willfeel and sound great.

Love that worn in feel of the Road Worn neck, good choice there. I have 2 RW jazz basses and they are my best playing necks by far. Good luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShoeManiac

Thanks! I'm looking forward to when I get the neck and can this bass assembled. I'm tempted to start loading up the body, but I'd really like to have all of the parts on hand before starting the assembly.

I couldn't tempt you to part with a neck from one of YOUR Road Worns, can I? :D
  7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

AFAIK, the Road Worn and (the new nitro) Classic series both have poly finished necks - just the bodies are nitro. I believe only the AVRIs have nitro necks (and I'm not even 100% sure that those aren't poly too).
  8. ShoeManiac

Thanks for your input, thebrain. I've done a fair ammount of research on the subect. Especially considering that I already own a Road worn Jazz bass. I'm just a little puzzled as to how your post is intended to help in my search for this particular neck?
  9. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Well, I didn't want you to buy a neck thinking it's nitro, only to find out it's actually poly so I was just trying to help ya out. And I actually have a Classic '60s classic Jazz bass neck I'm not doing anything with at the moment - but it didn't sound like you were wanting a poly neck. I was going to use it for a project, but if you're interested I may sell it. I believe it's one of the older (poly everything) Classics though.
  10. ShoeManiac