Xerograph with an expression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Lurker, Nov 10, 2012.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

I just bought a Xerograph and am using a Roland EV-5 to try to do filter sweeps, but using the treadle doesn't seem to do anything. I've tweaked the sensitivity and frequency knobs quite a lot, since they relate to the base freq and filter triggering, but nothing happens.

Am I missing something?

2. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

First off, i recommend keeping the sens off if you are doing manual sweeps. Also, the sweeps will not sound very pronounced unless you are feeding the filter with some kind of fuzz or distortion.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

I've been trying that, but the filter seems not to let anything through if the sensitivity is turned all the way down.

Also, should have been more specific-- I have the Xerograph Deluxe.

4. El Slap

El Slap

I have the regular Xero and it works like a charm with my Moog EP-2, so maybe it´s the expression pedal. The most dramatic sweeps, I´ve found, are on higher notes when the resonance is high and the frequency low.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. K-man

K-man

there is knob on the side of EV5. This should be turned completely counter clock wise. You can then turn off or play with the sensitivity.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1. I use an EV-5 with my Xero Deluxe and it works fine, but the adjustment knob on the side limits how low the sweep will go (essentially the same as the Frequency knob on the Xero, except that the EV-5 adjustment knob is limiting on top of wherever the Frequency knob is set). The Moog pedal is probably a better pair if for no other reason than its adjustment control controls how high the sweep will go instead of how low, so it adds a new parameter of control rather than the superfluous control of the EV-5.

Also- the way I use my Xero, most of the time I have the Frequency knob past noon or the filter is below most audible content. There is a big slice of that knob that is for super deep subs, much of which your bass probably isn't making in the first place. Since the EV-5's sweep isn't nearly big enough to cover the whole Xero sweep, you might just be missing it entirely if you set the Frequency too low.

Also try jiggling the cable of the EV-5 and making sure its seated all the way- if mine gets twisted the wrong way it will stop functioning. One downside of the cheapo built-in cable design of the cheaper expression pedals.

8. M Sterling

+1, the ideal range for the cutoff frequency when doing manual sweeps is between 11:00 and 1:00. make sure to keep the range knob on your expression pedal turned up enough to operate in this range.

9. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Is the Moog ep2 really our only option (other than custom mission)??

It just has such a sh!t feel to it.....so please tell me that there is either something else or learn to live with it.

Thanks - Namaste

10. M Sterling

It's not the only option, but it does seem to be the best. FWIW, I adjusted the tension on mine and I actually like the way it feels now. I've had three in regular usage for over two years and no major problems with either.

11. dharmashawn

Warm fuzzy feeling - Thanks.

I plan on doing the DannD mod making it accept a 1/4 jack, so I don't have a 17' cord laying around me feet

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Do you have any other pedals that use expression input to test whether your expression pedal is functioning properly? Here's a setting to try when first experimenting with the Xero and expression sweeps: Set the Xero to 4 pole and upsweep (the slow/fast switch doesn't matter) with the resonance between 10 o'clock and noon, the sensitivity at zero, the around 1 o'clock, the clean volume at zero and the filter volume at unity gain or whatever level you want it at. This should give you some low rumbles even without an expression pedal plugged in. You should get the same sound with the expression pedal plugged in when in the "heel down" or "toe up" position. Pushing the expression pedal down should sweep the cutoff frequency, letting in more and more frequencies until you are full range in the "heel up" or "toe down" position. With no other pedal plugged in you should get a sort of wah like sound when rocking the expression pedal back and forth while playing.

If you aren't, there's an issue either with your Xero (less likely) or your expression pedal (more likely)

Does the Xero work fine when using it as an envelope filter?

FWIW, Taylor modded a VP-jr volume pedal and that's what I use as my expression pedal with the Xerograph. Really nice, solid feel and smooth sweeps.

I don't know that he has the time to mod VP-jrs these days but there are a number of other guys that could do it for you.

13. Michedelic

Michedelic

I've used a Zoom FP02 with an IE Frantabit and it works great. I have a few pedals with expression jacks, and it's a real mix'n'match trial and error process. The venerable Boss EV-5 isn't necessarily compatible with all pedals. I've found that Yamaha and M Audio models are the same as well. They're all great pedals, but it's almost like speed dating! (Not that I would know...!)

14. dharmashawn

Fantastic info guys! TB forum 36 comes through yet again