xl chromes on my breedlove acoustic

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EAME, Nov 14, 2012.

1. EAME

EAME Supporting Member

I've a problem getting the
    bottom e string to sit correctly in the slot.Can I remove the binding at the eye or will this make the string unwind itself?
    I don't really want to drill anything either!
    So is it possible ?
    Cheers!

2. justjake

justjake

what gauge e string are you using ? my breedlove acoustic's won't take anything thicker than a .100 and sit correctly . i had the same problem until i switched to a light gauge string.
    hope that helps

3. EAME

EAME Supporting Member

Hi jake
    Its regular light 45/65/80/100. Flats.
    Its not as if it could be drilled,thinking about it,but I think you might be right.but do you know if the binding can be cut back?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You are referring to the silk. Yes you can cut that away... It is there for looks and does not function as anything other than covering ugly unpolished wraps.

Sets made a while ago had too much silk on them, but this has been addressed and newer sets do not have the extra silk bunching up issue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EAME

EAME Supporting Member

Ah thanks I really should use the the correct terminology,
    So yes,the silk is it!
    I will try to remove some of this silk,so thanks for your advice.as long as I don't damage the string by doing this,then I might just get away with it!
    Thanks slapinfunk,ill let you know how it goes
    And look at some articles in 'luthiers corner'

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Awesome let us know!

Not sure if you have attempted already but just score the silk with a razor blade and start unwrapping.

Some say Burn it off, but I do not suggest that at all. Safest thing to do is unwrap the silk. It may take a while, but once you put these strings on your bass you aren't going to have to change them for a while...

8. onestring

onestring

I really like Chromes on the Breedlove. You can cut the silks off the E string with a razor as SLaPiNFuNK says. I had to take ALL of the silk off on the ball end of the string and some off the tuning end too just to get it through the hole. It will fit (barely) and is 100% worth the effort.