XLR question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by michinho, Apr 11, 2014.

1. michinho

michinho

Hi all,

I'm quite new to recording and the equipment involved to get the best sounds you can.

This may seem like a stupid question but it is one I do need answering (so cut me some slack! Haha)

Basically on the back of my Benz Benz Shuttle 9.2 there is an xlr out with an option to either set it to line level or mic level. What i'm looking to do is plug an xlr from the amp going straight into a behringer 5 channel mixer. I notice that the XLR input on the mixer says "Mic in". Does this mean I can't connect the amp to this connection? And if I can, at what setting on the amp? Mic level or line?

Finally if it is possible to connect the XLR to the mixer, can I use the same method but going direct from an Aguilar Tonehammer DI? I only ask because I see that dpsent have the level switching option.

Sorry once again if these seem like stupid questions!

Any help would be greatly welcomed!

2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

What's the saying? The only stupid question is the unasked question. Don't feel bad...we all had to learn at some point. It is fortunate that the Genz Benz offers the ability to switch the output level of the XLR connector.
    If you are going into the mic input of a mixer, set that switch to "mic" level. The mic level is a much lower level than line level. If you were to set it on "line" level and plug it into a mic input, it would sound distorted because you are overloading the mic input on the mixer. However, if you have a "Line" level input on your mixer, you would set the switch to "line". Line level inputs can be a female XLR connector(the same connector used for a mic input), but are usually on a quarter inch TRS connector.

The Aguilar DI is has a transformer in it to convert the output of your bass to a low impedance mic level to be plugged into the mic input of a mixer.

Make a point of learning this information because you will run into it quite often. Don't ever hesitate to ask. You can always send me a PM with other questions.