1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

xlr to 1/4" on VT SL140 help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by doomloop, Feb 20, 2013.

1. doomloop

doomloop

I have a Vibration Technology sl140 solid state slave amp.

There are two xlr outs that I want to switch to 1/4" jacks.

The xlr's have two yellow wires which are continuous with the screws and casing of the xlr jacks(both visible in the pic of the xlr wiring) which leads me to think these are ground. It appears the 8 ohm tap has two separate yellows to 1 and 3 pins and the 16 ohm tap has a common yellow to both 1 and 3 pins.

The red goes to the 2 pin on both xlr's.

The yellows go into the board at the top right and are both continuous with the metal plate with screws visible at the bottom right of the pic of the board.

The red enters at left center near the fuse.

I'm thinking to just swap pins as when I put a regular speaker cable into the disconnected 1/4" jack the 1 and 3 go to sleeve and the 2 goes to 2...assuming the xlr and 1/4" are numbered the same.

Here's pics...

Attached Files:

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I would guess that too. Typically the sleeve of a 1/4" plug is the ground and the tip is the positive.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

To follow convention you would make the - ground the sleeve, and + to the tip.

I don't know what is going on with your supposed 8 and 16 ohm taps, SS amps have a single "tap" and a minimum load.