1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Xotic SP Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacksonev94, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jacksonev94

jacksonev94 Supporting Member

I've done some searching, and I see a few people have bought/tried this one out. There's no review on ovnilabs.com, but I would really love to hear opinions from those of you who actually use it. I really love the look and price of this thing, but I want to make sure it can do what I want it to (mild compression, "squishy" compression, and some tone enhancement).
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a Xotic SP, and it has a good range from mild to pretty squishy compression, true bypass, blend knob, tiny, and super easy to use - I like mine.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I liked the compression aspect of the two I had, but both had loud hiss/white noise if you turned them up high.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: Yep, the first one I tried was in a local music store (BAL) with some bass I grabbed off the wall rack, and it had a lot of noise when set to high and cranked full too.

However, the one I bought and now use with MY basses and amps is much quieter and isn't noisier than other cranked squishy petal compressors. Don't misunderstand - its not absolutely quiet when set on high and cranked (its still noisy), but I think the cheap off the rack bass I grabbed at the store may of been the main cause of most the noise there - and its very quiet on the low and medium settings, which is how most people would use it anyway.
  5. sniperchris

sniperchris

I believe it is a Ross type compressor and is lumped under that section of onvi lab.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, its a Ross type clone in a 1590A box.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    However I did just buy one a couple days ago because of demand. So my review will be posted in a week or two.

Quick impression: it sounds pretty nice, and has better low end than some other Ross types, with the blend helping. Not my first choice for bass, but not bad.
  8. Diaz

Diaz

A friend lent me his, i screwed with the switches under the hood almost directly because i didn't really like the attack time for what i would normally play (no fast notes).
    iirc it has a Release, Attack and Gain switch. I didn't even mess up with the gain switch since i was trying it with an amp in very bad shape :(
    With the slow(er) attack setting it sounded less squishy but still there, which was cool. I didn't like the Hi toggle option in any of the switch settings i think.
    I reckon someone that does slap or very funky mid-rangy bass grooves would get something better from it than i did.
  9. mexibass

mexibass

I'll be patiently waiting for that review sir, coz I'm about to buy one online since I don't have the chance to try it out in person and I also happen to love the size of the thing. It's meant to fit on my alternate smaller pedalboard. On the main one I got the MXR bass compressor which I happen to love!
  10. jacksonev94

Awesome. I look forward to reading it!
  11. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Also look forward to your review!!
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Also me too - I looked for it on your list before buying mine and I was bummed it wasn't there, so I'm sure many will find it very helpful. Thanks

EDIT: Maybe do a review on the yellow Moore compressor too?
  13. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    I don't know why but Xotic has always been one of those brands that I just can't get into so I can't see this knocking the MXR off my board.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

There is nothing wrong with being a petal brand fan - I use to be that way too, but now I look at each petal individually regardless of the brand. The MXR is sweet - but I'm in the process of putting together a new nano board with 1590A size petals and the MXR is to big and personally I find the LEDs distracting - but its a nice compressor.
  15. MikroKev

MikroKev

There's a review of the Mooer Yellow Comp on the ovnilab.

I just picked up a Mooer Blue Compressor a few days ago cheap on ebay.

It's not a bad little pedal at all. Boss CS clone, and it has a similar emphasis on 'sustain' which is what I'm looking for in a compressor. As expected, treble mode is not for bassists, but in normal mode it's usable - very little loss of low end.

The compression is good, but there is a definite colour to the compressed tone. I'm not talking loss in E.Q. terms, but rather a change in timbre - hard to describe - it makes the tone more in the J-pick up direction than a P if that makes sense.

The change in sound with the Mooer Blue is not unpleasant and may suit some tastes, but I prefer the way my Xotic SP controls the volume dynamics but maintains the original tone and will stick with the Xotic.

Anyone using the [sfx] Micro Comp I'd like to hear what they think of it. ?
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Okay thanks, I must of missed it - I'll go read it now. FWIW: I "think" I remember reading some TBers saying the yellow Moore comp was some how better suited over the blue one for bass for some reasons - but I can’t remember why, or find the post - I "think" it might have been in the big Moore thread, or one of the tiny/nano petal threads. Anyway, thanks for the Blue Moore comp report. I haven't used the [sfx] Micro comp, so I can't comment - sorry. hopefully some else will chime in about it. PS: Yeah, I like my Xotic SP too, and the blend knob is sweet. Cheers
  17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

19. jacksonev94

20. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Thank you for the review!!