Xotic SP Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacksonev94, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jacksonev94

jacksonev94 Supporting Member

I've done some searching, and I see a few people have bought/tried this one out. There's no review on ovnilabs.com, but I would really love to hear opinions from those of you who actually use it. I really love the look and price of this thing, but I want to make sure it can do what I want it to (mild compression, "squishy" compression, and some tone enhancement).
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a Xotic SP, and it has a good range from mild to pretty squishy compression, true bypass, blend knob, tiny, and super easy to use - I like mine.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I liked the compression aspect of the two I had, but both had loud hiss/white noise if you turned them up high.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: Yep, the first one I tried was in a local music store (BAL) with some bass I grabbed off the wall rack, and it had a lot of noise when set to high and cranked full too.

However, the one I bought and now use with MY basses and amps is much quieter and isn't noisier than other cranked squishy petal compressors. Don't misunderstand - its not absolutely quiet when set on high and cranked (its still noisy), but I think the cheap off the rack bass I grabbed at the store may of been the main cause of most the noise there - and its very quiet on the low and medium settings, which is how most people would use it anyway.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sniperchris

sniperchris

I believe it is a Ross type compressor and is lumped under that section of onvi lab.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, its a Ross type clone in a 1590A box.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    However I did just buy one a couple days ago because of demand. So my review will be posted in a week or two.

Quick impression: it sounds pretty nice, and has better low end than some other Ross types, with the blend helping. Not my first choice for bass, but not bad.
  9. Diaz

Diaz

A friend lent me his, i screwed with the switches under the hood almost directly because i didn't really like the attack time for what i would normally play (no fast notes).
    iirc it has a Release, Attack and Gain switch. I didn't even mess up with the gain switch since i was trying it with an amp in very bad shape :(
    With the slow(er) attack setting it sounded less squishy but still there, which was cool. I didn't like the Hi toggle option in any of the switch settings i think.
    I reckon someone that does slap or very funky mid-rangy bass grooves would get something better from it than i did.
  10. mexibass

mexibass

I'll be patiently waiting for that review sir, coz I'm about to buy one online since I don't have the chance to try it out in person and I also happen to love the size of the thing. It's meant to fit on my alternate smaller pedalboard. On the main one I got the MXR bass compressor which I happen to love!
  11. jacksonev94

Awesome. I look forward to reading it!
  12. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Also look forward to your review!!
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Also me too - I looked for it on your list before buying mine and I was bummed it wasn't there, so I'm sure many will find it very helpful. Thanks

EDIT: Maybe do a review on the yellow Moore compressor too?
  14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I don't know why but Xotic has always been one of those brands that I just can't get into so I can't see this knocking the MXR off my board.
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

There is nothing wrong with being a petal brand fan - I use to be that way too, but now I look at each petal individually regardless of the brand. The MXR is sweet - but I'm in the process of putting together a new nano board with 1590A size petals and the MXR is to big and personally I find the LEDs distracting - but its a nice compressor.
  16. MikroKev

MikroKev

There's a review of the Mooer Yellow Comp on the ovnilab.

I just picked up a Mooer Blue Compressor a few days ago cheap on ebay.

It's not a bad little pedal at all. Boss CS clone, and it has a similar emphasis on 'sustain' which is what I'm looking for in a compressor. As expected, treble mode is not for bassists, but in normal mode it's usable - very little loss of low end.

The compression is good, but there is a definite colour to the compressed tone. I'm not talking loss in E.Q. terms, but rather a change in timbre - hard to describe - it makes the tone more in the J-pick up direction than a P if that makes sense.

The change in sound with the Mooer Blue is not unpleasant and may suit some tastes, but I prefer the way my Xotic SP controls the volume dynamics but maintains the original tone and will stick with the Xotic.

Anyone using the [sfx] Micro Comp I'd like to hear what they think of it. ?
  17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Okay thanks, I must of missed it - I'll go read it now. FWIW: I "think" I remember reading some TBers saying the yellow Moore comp was some how better suited over the blue one for bass for some reasons - but I can’t remember why, or find the post - I "think" it might have been in the big Moore thread, or one of the tiny/nano petal threads. Anyway, thanks for the Blue Moore comp report. I haven't used the [sfx] Micro comp, so I can't comment - sorry. hopefully some else will chime in about it. PS: Yeah, I like my Xotic SP too, and the blend knob is sweet. Cheers
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

20. jacksonev94

21. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Thank you for the review!!