1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Xsonics 215CF first impressions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Before I get in to anything I want to say this not a "WELL WHAT DOES THE GRAPH SAY IT WILL SOUND LIKE " thread. Xsonics.com already has a thread full of technical knowledge/input by people that either know what they are doing or they don't...I don't really care either way because is about MY IMPRESSIONS of my cabinet/bass and head at an outside venue in Daytona Speedway pre race concert.
    I took both Xsonics cabinets...the 212CF stacked on top of the 215CF. My Genz-Benz Shuttle 12.0 on top of that. Neutric connectors from head to cabinets one per side (well to begin with).
    We are a bass/2 guitar (3 amp) drums modern country band. Stage volumes are usually loud. My past cab configuration has been stacked Genz Uber210's stacked (750 watts in that configuration).
    We started our sound check as usual getting everyone dialed in (but me cause I am the sound man). through sound check on the gig. We played a few tunes and I started to get a stage feel for the Xsonics boxes. I started to turn up to fill the stage which is out doors. as I elevated my volume I decided to unplug the 212CF. Now it is showtime for the 215CF. I had to jack the volume another click because well I was now only running one side of the shuttle so I went up another click on the master.The tone was wonderful and got more wonderful as I turned it up. This is NOT a jazz combo at the Hilton cabinet... why ? Because it is not a cabinet that is at it's best quiet. Medium volume on up it is incredible. We all have a memory of the amp we always had back from our past. Running this 215CF was a cleaner but every bit as satisfying to a 51 year old me as my '79 Sunn with rolled 215B did in the early 80's. For people that love 215's but hate the huge boxes this could be your answer. 1 inch bigger all the way around than my GB Uber210's...weighs less at 50 pounds and will handle 900 watts. It hits real hard and is very focused. Low "B" notes are clear and fat...and anything over the 12 fret is big and fat as well. With a thumb, fingers or even a pick. Everything remains fat.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD AS ANOTHER PLACE TO ARGUE GRAPHS AND WHAT NOT. THIS IS AN OPINION/FIRST IMPRESSION THREAD OF MY FINDING AFTER USING THE XSONICS.COM 215CF

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361806224.848181.jpg below are head settings F E T channel used
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361806291.285720.jpg

3. KJung

KJung

Nice! Must have had a few people out front listening on that gig:eek:

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    K, yes indeed. It was a golden opportunity to really see what it would do. Outside, no acoustics to deal with...just recoil off surrounding buildings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rpsands

rpsands

Can you provide a graph of your historical enjoyment curve while playing your Sunn 215B as compared to your enjoyment now?

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

We need some statistical data outlining your enjoyment of this, and past gear. :D

9. rpsands

rpsands

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Pretty accurate I think. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361810439.086447.jpg

11. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Thanks for the review Dennis.

I am playing thru an Uber 212 and love the tone. I'm looking for a way to reduce footprint / weight. Can you contrast the 212CF and the 215cf with the GB Uber 212?

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    First off the 212CF is a smaller footprint than any uber series cabinet. It is tighter sounding than Uber212. The bottom is not as big (Pillowy) as the uber but is more controllable. It handles "B" strings wonderfully and is punchy and articulate. Now the 215CF is a horse of another color (mine is cobolt blue but not what I meant). Vertically it has a smaller footprint. Horizontally it is about 1.5 inches wider...but it also has 2 15's in it. I stopped using 15's years ago because one wasn't enough and 2 were too big to screw with. The 215CF is 50 pounds and hits like your favorite 215 you have ever used. I feel blessed to have found a killer but light 215 that sounds like a 215 not a freakin' neo cabinet. I know I have a choice between the 2 cabinets but I can tell you the 215 will be the workhorse, I played Daytona Sat took both cabs and stacked them and just drove the 215 because it felt SOOO good. And with a 72 hour approval time line it is really not a gamble.

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    I am glad I amused you... I try to be informative.

15. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
  16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    I was pm'd for more graphs...seriously?

17. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    For me.. I would seriously consider the 215. It could cover any gig that i do except for fly dates.

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Kirk,

For its size/weight/tone it is unreal. 900 watts 50 pounds. I just posted 2 short videos on youtube

19. Chef

Disclosures:
    Won't someone ever invent an arena-ready speaker cab that will fold up into my carry on bag????????????

Why can't we get real innovation!!!!!!!!!!

20. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    I know... Like in cartoons when you add a drop of water and it grows

21. Chef

Disclosures:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.